What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Judith Hindle or Danna's Delight?

CPs019.jpg

you tell me
im dumb when it comes to that stuff xD

Speaking of which, how do you keep you Judith Hindle so healthy and red?

I would differ with this ID...

The new pitchers have been grown in MUCH less light than the younger, smaller pitchers that have much more red in them. But even so, these new pitchers have much more white areolation than you normally see on 'Judith Hindle.' These look more like 'Dana's Delight' pitchers that have been grown in low light conditions.

Of course, the best way to ID it will be to wait for it to get a little more size on it, and make sure it gets plenty of light next growing season as well. That will help it form normally colored and patterned pitchers!

Hope this helps,

Mike

Thanks, it has being grown by a window and with a UV light
the plant got to me about a week ago and has been pushing up alot of new pitchers, but it doesnt seem to be dying xD
its my first Sarracenia that ive owned, so i am just treating it much like my VFTs and Droseras

i also say danas delight

i have both and the way the pitchers come up is different in both plants. and like houstonherp said. the areola(??) is pretty pronounced on Judith Hindle. on yours it isnt. another thing ive noticed between the two is the way the hood is positioned with the mouth. on JH the hood to the mouth an almost perfect quarter circle. danas delight has a smaller angle and is therefor held closer to the mouth...but not by much.

Alex

I would say Judith Hindle. The pitchers start out whitish like that for me, then darken over time to purple. I guess the test would be to see if the white ones darken up.

Does not look like Judith Hindle to me either..
I have about 20 of them, grow them outside all summer..
that plant does not look like Judith..

Even in lots of full sun, Judith does not get solid-red like that.

Scot

If we had a frontal shot of the peristome, column and hood we could tell right off as "Dana's Delight" has almost no column as opposed to the very short one on 'Judith Hindle'. This feature is not readily apparent from the side or back.

My money is on "Dana's Delight" - practically no column where the hood joins the peristome. 'Judith Hindle' usually doesn't grow tall narrow pitchers either. Typcially shorter, more compact like the one facing away in the above picture.

thankyou very much.
im sure you know what your talking about so ill stick with Dana's

Either way they are both gorgeous Sarracenia hybrid cultivars and are welcome additions to any CP collection. Once you get them out in the sun this upcoming growing season you'll be amazed how colorful they can be.

Definately Dana's Delight. Nice plant you got there! :-D

Dana's Delight

SirKristoff -

This is definitely S. 'Dana's Delight.' I have hundreds of them, in all sizes of development.

The difficulty with your initial picture was that the plant had not put up any newer, larger pitchers. This new picture makes it clear that this is not S. 'Judith Hindle.' 'Dana's Delight' has a hood shape and patterning that is very similar to S. leucophylla; the color is much more pronounced than typical S. leucophylla, but the shape is pretty much the same.

'Judith Hindle,' on the other hand, has a hood that generally is more recurved on the lateral edges, AND it has a much more reticulate (web-like) pattern on the hood. 'Dana's Delight' has larger areoles (white spots), just like most leucophylla.

As for the deeper red coloration on the very small juvenile pitchers, this can occur on both of these cultivars, depending on the lighting conditions. I have scores of 'Judith Hindle' youngsters right now that are almost indistinguishable from the 'Dana's Delight' youngsters!

I hope the 'layman's terms' here are easy enough to understand. Feel free to contact me at any time if you have any questions!

Most definately 'Dana's Delight. They grow into solid red color with a little trace of S.leucophylla.

I believe it's a Judith Hindle. Judith Hindle gets those green pitchers that turn red. Well at least from my experience.

Does not look like Judith Hindle to me either..
I have about 20 of them, grow them outside all summer..
that plant does not look like Judith..

Even in lots of full sun, Judith does not get solid-red like that.

Scot

This is my Judith Hindle thats grown in full sun
august312007016.jpg

its new pitcher had yet to color up, but as you can see it gets red but not as red as some of the pitchers on your sarra.
And get those fly traps out of that terrarium,I say find out who owns the trees and try and get permission to cut one or two down.

Back