What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trying to identify these pings. They haven't flowered yet. Here is the total history:

I purchased them (together as one plant) from Home Depot in July 2007. The label on them identifies them as Pinguicula spp. from Gubers in California. They were a light green when purchased, acclimated, repotted in a "Butterwort" media from Sarracenia Northwest, and then under 12,800 lumens of florescent lighting. In Sept they changed to the pink color and have since grown twice their size to approximately 2 inches across. In October they put out what looked like tiny white threads from the leaf tips to the media, I suspect some type of root. Unfortunately it quickly dried up. Next time I will try keeping some damp moss on it.

Thank you for your help,
Nycti

Pinguicula.jpg

It might be P. agnata. They have that leaf shap to it and turn red easily. Strange that Home Depot would have it, though.

In all likelihood this is the moranensis x ehlersiae hybrid that was mass produced by DeGroose and farmed out to various mass market CP outlets. To be certain you need a bloom but I am pretty confident it is that based on the rosette alone.

Thank you all for the replies. I spent some time on the net and in books searching all I could find about the 3 possible species. I think Pyro is on the right track, and someone else mentioned a possible moranensis hybrid to me in the chatbox. Following the moranenisis x ehlersiae hybrid I also found a P. pirouette [agnata* (moranensis* ehlersiae)] that looks favorable to. Now to wait for a bloom and hopefully a positive id. The pings are putting off a light, delicate, lovely fragrance. Could that mean it will flower soon?

wow!!!! thanks for the thread Nycticorax!!!!
i had the exact same question.........i also got mine last october at Lowe's...i think....not sure...might be Home Deport in Anaheim

Mark, welcome to the forum.

Glad I could be of help. I am really fond of those pings and fairly new to CPs. Just need to get the guts up to try a leaf pulling and propagate them.

:)
Nycti

Back