What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

unknown drosera sprouting everywhere...

does anyone have any ideas what these might be? the only drosera that had a flower was the capensis i got from Andrew(i snipped the flower the first day i got it), even then, how could it have spread to almost all of the pots which are all spread out? there is about 15 of them i have found so far and finding more everyday.
thanks, ~b

IMG_0655.JPG

IMG_0685.JPG

IMG_0650.JPG

They are Capensis.
They don't look anything like the mature plant when they first come up, I had the same trouble. The more mature capensis characteristic leaves will come up after it puts out a few more of those seedling leaves.

yep capes they especially love to sprout in your nep pots :D

They're not D. capensis. They are a species/hybrid pygmy Drosera species.

It indeed does look like a pygmy, but we might want to give it some more time to confirm it.

They're not D. capensis. They are a species/hybrid pygmy Drosera species.
very clear that it is a pygmy sundew
I bet all of you $100 it's a capensis. My hitchhiker seedling capensis looked the exact same way when it first sprouted.
Just because it's small doesn't mean it's a pygmy.

Thanks Sean, I thought it looked like something with perhaps D. nitidula in it.

Usually it is way too early to tell what a species of Drosera is as most rosetted Drosera seedlings look the same when very young.

Just for reference here are some D. capensis seedlings in my pot with Drosera capillaris x rotundifolia:

01020004.jpg

Just for reference here are some D. capensis seedlings in my pot with Drosera capillaris x rotundifolia:

01020004.jpg

Thank you for posting that picture. You can see that they're different... to me anyways. You can tell it's probably a pgymy because not only is it small, but the 'tentacles' have that long, narrow shape.

You can tell it's probably a pgymy because not only is it small...
All seedlings are small.
I also doubt that pygmy seeds would have such a high germination rate in a foreign soil. Capensis are notorious for sprouting in just about any kind of [cp] media.

I go with the capensis seedlings, too. While I've had pygmies pop up as weeds in a couple pots, I've not had them invade all my pots. Also, I think he would have spotted the gemmae on a few of the sprouts, now that he's checking more closely for invaders in his other pots.

How can you guys say that is a capensis seedling???!!!
Flat petiol, perfect round leaf....that is a pygmy and i can bet you for it!!!!!!
i do have now capensis seedlings and are not looking like that...the leaf is pointed to the petiol not round
most of the pygmy sp don't have a high germination rate so i doubt that all of them are pygmys.....but the ones from your pics, they sure are. they do popup in foreign pots.

I've always had high germination rates from my gemmae. My other reason for thinking it's more likely D. capensis is that seeds scatter over a large area more easily than gemmae. In my experience, gemmae usually land in pots adjacent to the pygmy pot. Seeds scatter all over the place. Third reason, unless he forgot to list them, he doesn't have any pygmy dews in his collection. He does have spatulata and capensis. Both tend to be weeds if not watched carefully.

i do have now capensis seedlings and are not looking like that...the leaf is pointed to the petiol not round
Read the other responses!
They don't look anything like the mature plant when they first come up, I had the same trouble. The more mature capensis characteristic leaves will come up after it puts out a few more of those seedling leaves.
most rosetted Drosera seedlings look the same when very young.
Not A Number even posted a picture of Capensis seedlings showing that they don't have the typical elongated stem when they are that young. They start to develop that feature as they get older.

by looking at the pic posted by Not A Member you can clearly see the diference between the capensis and the seedling from the very first pic....look at the form of the leaf and look how many tentacules the leaf has....i have hundreds of capensis seedlings and they look nothing like that...but i do have a few pygmys from seeds and they look very similar
it would help to know how old are the ones in the pics. Maybe not all f them are pygmys but the ones in the pics sure are!

first off, i want to thank everyone for helping, i really appreciate it.

i can say that all mine are 100% identical. they are only a few weeks old, maybe even older and i just never noticed them, but my cp collection/mini bog started in March of this year.

the pictures were from multiple pots. they are growing in 4 pots including the mini bog.

i was really shocked to hear the mention of nitidula as I did have ~30 D. nitidula x pulchella gemmae a while back that i sowed into only mini bog(didnt have anyway to grow it under lights indoors) and it didnt look like any had sprouted but rather burned up and dried up. the thing is also that after i thought they had been goners, our chihuahua shredded the garden and dug out all the peat, from which most of the peat was reused but never in other pots, just the bog. the capensis i got from andy had a flower but didnt seem like it had developed far enough before i chopped it(before putting in the bog).

the only 2 options is D. nitidula x pulchella or D. capensis from what i can gather.

~b

Dude,

Thats the batch of pygmies I sent you in a trade/giveaway a while back. I can tell by the first pick and having sowed 100s myself. A good sign to me is in the first picture: Do you see how several tentacles have dewy ends. However, notice the other tentacles. See how some of the other tentacles are longer and sharper without dewy ends. There are pygmies in there. There do seem to be some capensis hitchikers in there as well. I think you've got both.

V

I bet all of you $100 it's a capensis. My hitchhiker seedling capensis looked the exact same way when it first sprouted.
Just because it's small doesn't mean it's a pygmy.

I'll have some of that please, could do with some spare $$$...it is NOT a capensis!

wait for a few weeks..and posting again the pic.
im almost sure that's not capensis.

Back