What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plant that looks suspiciously like an orchid!

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
I found a butt load of these. What are they? I was hiking up a mountain looking at waterfalls on a neighbor's property and found these interesting plants about 1.5 hours up the mountain. I was so excited, I went back (nothing scarier than sliding down a steep slope in the middle of no where), got my camera, and hiked back. I asked permission to take some and she didn't know what they were or care. The roots look a lot like C. acaule roots, although the stem is MUCH more robust. The leaves look similar but are more plicate, glabrous, and convex. The plants also have multiple leaves per plant. There was no evidence of any past, present, or future flower stalks. It was growing in an environment identical to the environment our C. acaule grow in, including the media, and there were two lone C. acaule plants in this area. Only two. This area was very large and there were hundreds of plants. If you can tell me what they are and when they'd flower, I'd appreciate it. If they are orchids or lilies or something, imagine the show! But if they're weeds, it's not worth hiking up a 70 degree mountain, putting up with Smilax and poison oak and ivy, twisting my leg and sliding down on my butt again.

Someone told me they think it may be a Clintonia. Bummer. Maybe not!

DSC03701.jpg

DSC03705.jpg

DSC03706.jpg

DSC03708.jpg

DSC03709.jpg

DSC03710.jpg

DSC03714.jpg

DSC03716.jpg

I would have never seen them had I not noticed a seedling with two leaves, which I though was a ramp.

They're a some type of lily to me.

Hmm... it does look suspicious.

What, you have poison oak in Georgia too?!?!

Everywhere. And I just learned that what I've called poison ivy my whole life is actually the non-toxic virginia creeper. This is why I hate common names.

I think it's a Clintonia now, too, BUT I've looked and looked and I can't find a picture of one that has leaves that are convex like these are. Like an unbrella. Or plants that are as plicate as these. Not much information out there on Clintonia.

Do you know when they might flower?

Based on the literature I've got from May to June. Maybe its a little late this year.

I live in metro atlanta and I have a C. acaule in my yard (it was planted by my dad a long time ago). These look similar to C. acaule, but they are too big and the leaves are not fuzzy. My C. acaule is covered in a fine fuzz.

I do believe this is a Convallaria majalis perennial plant. I have often planted them and some before they bloom get deep ridges in the leaves. The stems also look very much like the convallaria plants. Look at the images

Lily of the Valley

Last edited:
Back