What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID these Drosera seedlings

Not a Number

Hello, I must be going...
Staff member
I already know but you can have fun trying to ID the species.

1)
07030015.jpg

2)
07030016.jpg

3)
07030018.jpg

venusta, rotundifolia, nidiformis?
it's too hard to gues!!!!!!!! how about some hints???

They are all temperate species from above the Equator.

anglica, capilaris, intermedia??????????????

I hope you're not trying to confuse us with hybrids.....

Anyway, my guesses (assuming they are species) are- D. linearis (could be filiformis), D. intermedia, D. anglica (the only one I'm slightly confident in).

Damn, you're good Sean.

1 - D. filiformis var filiformis

2 - ok these are actually a bit dicey - probably D. tokaiensis - which is most likely a hybrid - they came as D. spatulata seeds last year - if they are D. spatulata they could be from below the equator - definitely a temperate form though. These seedlings are second generation. One of the parent plants just died and the other is either following or going semi-dormant. They came out of dormancy maybe 6-8 weeks ago.

3 - correct - D. anglica

While you're at it perhaps you can confirm these pygmies:

D. pygmaea? - it flowered when I was out of town so I did not observe the flower
07030025.jpg

D. nitidula x pulchella? one of the plants had pink flowers
07030021.jpg

07030022.jpg

D. occidentalis ssp australis f. warriup? No flowers observed open. Flowering Utricularia in the pot doesn't help.
07030024.jpg

I do my best. :)

I can't detect anything that would cause me to think the pygmies are not correctly labelled. It's impossible to be sure without shots of the flowers.

Hey there N O N those are some fantastic photos of pygmy dews, I have never been that close to one before.I mean seen one that close-up before, Even though I am by far no expert on pymies, I agree with Sean, have to see the flower.

I've been trying to get shots of the pygmy flowers but I'm never at the right place at the right time :(

Here's a close-up of a D. filiformis var filiformis "Florida Giant" - a bug's worst nightmare!
07020022.jpg

i have that problem too...some flowers stay open only 2-3 hours

Well one of the flowers on the "pygmaea" opened today. I managed to get some pictures but haven't developed them yet.

It had red styles so D. pygmaea it ain't. I wonder if there are any true D. pygmaea floating around the LA area.

For reference:

http://kent.la.coocan.jp/D_pygmaea.htm

For comparison sake, this was sent to me as gemmae, a few years ago:

IMG_0037-1.jpg

IMG_0181-1.jpg

i doubt that is pygmaea, Jim!

Looks like I might get some of the D. occidentalis flowers today. My countdown timer is set to remind me every 15 minutes to check them.

lol.....i was doing that to get a shot of my occidentalis too over the weekend and the flowers never opened completly....i'm hoping on better luck on the next ones!

Any ideas what it should be?

See this thread. Although I think the flowers of many of the hybrids look similar so it may not necessarily be "Lake Badgerup".

i have seen that plant labeled in so many ways......

Here's a close-up of a D. filiformis var filiformis "Florida Giant" - a bug's worst nightmare!

Wow. I can't even begin to fathom going in there!

xvart.

Looks like the D. occidentalis is going to open tomorrow - while I'm at the LACPS meeting :(

I have too much other stuff to lug besides the pot and my camera.

Anyway here is the false D."pygmaea" flower:
dpflower.jpg

Back