What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got 2 ID's for 1 plant

I got these plants from 2 diferent sources and i'm 100% sure it's the same specie. The only dilema is: what is the correct name? I have 2 names....1. D. allantostigma x omissa and 2. omissa x nitidula. I think it's the first name but i need a confirmation. Here is the plant!
PICT0001.jpg

PICT0004.jpg

PICT0007.jpg

This one i got from seeds. The source of the seeds mix up the labels so it can be either nitidula or pygmaea (i hope!) Any ideas?
PICT0012.jpg

thank you for any help!!!!!

It's confusing because of proposed changes in the taxon status, elevating or proposed elevation of subspecies to species status. Refer to Lowrie and Conran article in Taxon

Drosera allantostigma is D. nitidula ssp allantostigma
Drosera ericksoniae is synonymous with Drosera omissa so the older D. omissa should be used.
Drosera nitidula ssp omissa should be D. patens (since D. omissa is already taken).

Clear? If so explain it to me ;)

The cross D. omissa x nitidula should be the same as D. ericksoniae/omissa x nitidula ssp nitidula although it could be any of the subspecies

The cross D. allantostigma x omissa should be the same as D. nitidula ssp allantostigma x ericksoniae/omissa

They should be different plants although the difference could be far more subtle as the difference between D. nitidula ssp allantostigma and D. nitidula ssp nitidula.

Do you have photos of both plants and flowers?

the pics in the original post are from the plant labeled ericksoniae x nitidula wich now is omissa x nitidula like you mentioned...i'm up to date with the changes.
the pics below are from the plant labeled allantostigma x omissa (recived as nitidula allantostigma x ericksoniae).......they look identical!...so 1 of the id is wrong
allantostigmaxomissa.jpg

allantostigmaxomissaflower2.jpg

allantostigmaxomissaflower3.jpg

What a fantastic shot of THAT flower!!!
Thanx N O N for clarifying the mud.
I hate when plants are renamed.

they look like my pure D. allantostigma. both plant and flower do. i dont think yours is even a hybrid. unless mine is a hybrid too!!

Alex

if the flower is the same then probably yours are not the pure sp. too

ok, so after letting this cook for a while here on the forum and doing a lot of research online i got to the conclusion that this must be the allantostigma x omiss hybrid.....so if somebody here is going to get some plants or gemmae from me named this way....this is what you'll get....i apologize in advance if i didn't get it right:drunk:

hey,
you're definitely right on your i.d
i quickly typed in allantostigma on google images and the first thing i saw was an identical pic of your sundew under the link "Drosera nitidula ssp. allantostigma x ericksoniae"

The site is: bugstraps.lunar.pl/photogallery.php
and the link to the pic- http://bugstraps.lunar.pl/zdjecia/fot_gen.php?numer=36&jezyk=1
hope that settles it.

props to Beata and Maciej's site

This pygmy sundew ID thing is bugging me! This is what I have as D. allantostigma:

IMG_0485.jpg

And this I received as D. erricksoniae:

IMG_0418.jpg

Are they correct?

can you show pics of the allantostigma in flower? the ericksoniae (the new omissa) doesen't look right to me. do you have pics of this one flowering too?

Back