What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help ID This Sarracenia?

Hello everybody. I have a Sarracenia hybrid that at first I thought might have been alata x minor. But now I don't believe that to be the case. It definately has S. minor somewhere in it's lineage, but I don't think there's any S. alata to be found. For reference, here's a pic of my S. alata x minor. You can see the plant in question in the background.
PitcherPlants007.jpg

Ok, here's the bugger that I'm not sure about.
PitcherPlants051.jpg

One pitcher even formed this year with a double lid. I've never seen that before. If that gene could be isolated perhaps a new cultivar could be on the horizon.
RoxiesBackyardBogs.jpg

Any ideas y'all?

idk....Minor x Rubra? or Minor x Alata.

I'm pretty sure that we can rule minor x alata out. Rubra?......MAYBE........but this is a large plant. The mouth and throat on this thing is quite huge compared to all the other Sarracenia. The shape of the mouth and the bulge of the upper pitcher is making me think along the lines of purpurea or maybe oreophilla or even both. I know that a bunch of folks like to cross with oreos because it makes such a hardy plant.

it looks liek a minor x alata to me. remember that with seed grown plants there is a LOT of variation

well purpurea is easily ruled out id imagine, the lids do not have the characteristics of Purpurea. oreophilla is very unlikely as well, Alata is possible. and so i Rubra. my guess after looking a little more into is indeed Minor x Alata

I would have to agree on minor x alata, but seeing that hybrids can have a lot of variation, even from the same cross, it can be possible it can have something else.

Hey there everybody. The jury is in and this plant is S. x 'Bug Bat'. Thanks to Mr. Brooks Garcia and Wes Buckner for their help in the ID, as well as S. Magee from another forum which I don't know if I'm allowed to mention the name of. He actually has one in his collection. I thought at first that this plant was S. alata x minor myself at the beginning of Spring, but as time went on it started taking on characteristics that made me doubtful. It is a very stocky plant. It is considerably larger than the alata/minor hybrid and the coloration is much more pronounced. Unfortunately, nobody seems to know the parantage of Bug Bat, so this Spring I am going to back breed the plant to see what I may get out of the seedlings.

Back