What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mixed Petiolaris

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I received seeds as such and haven't a clue as to what they are. Can anyone identify what these might be? They all look alike to me!

Picture108.jpg

Picture187.jpg

Newer picture:

IMG_0820.jpg

Any idea what parent plants went into this?

Looks like a straight paradoxa to me

Hmmm... they were supposed to be a hybrid. Can you see anything else in there? I know... the picture is fuzzy.

No I can not really see any traits that would indicate a hybrid. The form and stature look pure paradoxa to me... I guess it is possible it is a cross with something like petiolaris or dilatato-petiolaris whose traits could very possibly be "masked" by the paradoxa ones. But IMO that is just a plain old paradoxa.

just a plain old paradoxa
LOL! That reminded me of Spaceballs and, "Just plain yogurt".

I like paradoxa. Ranks up there with ordensis.

I should put it with this 4 year old picture and this from 3 years ago:

dscn0183.jpg

AR000102.jpg

Jimscott, I have got paradoxa plants that look quite differently under different light levels. Also, one particular plants seems to turn completely red in peat moss and sand. The others in LFS and perlite have got red lamina but green petiole under the same T5 light. ???

If it is a hybrid, could it be petiolaris x paradoxa? It took me a while to distinguish the two.

I remember a topic whereby Ron Lane described the subtle differences between paradoxa and (I think it was) the dilatato-petiolaris. Either way, the small colony of them have dew and are growing. So I'm happy.

Dilatato-pet and paradoxa are pretty different by eye. Ron's post was probably about petiolaris vs. dilatato-pet... A distinction even I have not fully groked...

No I can not really see any traits that would indicate a hybrid. The form and stature look pure paradoxa to me... I guess it is possible it is a cross with something like petiolaris or dilatato-petiolaris whose traits could very possibly be "masked" by the paradoxa ones. But IMO that is just a plain old paradoxa.
Agree w/ Pyro. Especially at this age, there does not appear to be anything suggesting something other than the paradox of the petios.

On the dil-petiolaris vs petiolaris discussion, I'll probably go to my grave not fully grasping Sean Spence's taxonomic interpretation of the differences. IIRC, however, I had similar confusion w/ Andreas F. explanation of another petio (possibly the narrow leaf D. ordensis?). While I can handle ID'ing many/most plants, taxonomy is not one of my strong points. ???

I would definitely default to Travis & the others before quoting me ....:nono: :0o: :jester: (although I do think the post in quoted thread is accurate)

Here's my Petiolaris 'hybrids' from the same lot of seed as Jim.

P1020781.jpg

They were simply labeled as Petiolaris Group Hybrids from the ICPS.

Crystal

EDIT: Yours are looking nice Jim!

Last edited:
Crystal,

Yours look to be paradoxa as well to my eye.

Thanks Pyro. I think for the time being I'm going to leave them labeled as hybrids. Flowers probably wouldn't be much of a help with confirming an ID would it? They all look similar to me.

Crystal

The actual flower in and of itself may not be super indicative unless you know all the details of taxonomy for the group (which I do not) but the scape itself may be a good indicator. D. paradoxa is notorious for having huge numbers of blooms (I have had more than 100 on a single scape before) while most of the others have significantly fewer. If the plant is a hybrid then it may show differences in flower "capacity" on the scape. But then it may not...

D. paradoxa it shall be named!

Back