What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Nep ID

img_0283-rs.jpg

I got this Nep at a local nursery. It was in a plastic humidity container and only labeled as 'Asian pitcher plant.' I'm pretty sure its something common but I have a hard time IDing these plants. (as soon as I think its one thing I find a picture that makes me think its something else)

I actually have one more nep that I need help IDing, but I'm waiting for my camera batteries to charge. ???

Thanks for the help!

It looks like a bongso to me. It looks like there's several plants in there as well. Amazing find!

N. bongso? I don't think so. Not at a local nursery.

It looks more like N. ventricosa or possibly N. x ventrata. Most likely the former.

-Ben

It looks more like N. ventricosa or possibly N. x ventrata. Most likely the former.

I had initially ruled out N. ventricosa because the pitchers have wings, they're kind of hard to see in the pic. N. x ventrata seems like a likely suspect though.

It looks like there's several plants in there as well. Amazing find!
There are several shoots coming off of one main stem. Perhaps I can make some cuttings in the future.

Thanks for the input guys :)

The leaves and pitchers really remind me of bongso, even if it's not pure.
Oh well.???

Most Neps (even ventricosa / ventrata) can have wings on their pitchers when they're that young. That's not a reliable way to guess at an id. :)

I didn't know that. I've got a lot to learn I guess :)

Upon closer inspection, the wings on the largest, newest traps are far less pronounced that on the smallest traps

I would say that it looks like verntricosa 'red' has been mixed in because of the structure of the leaves and pitchers...or maybe it is ventricosa 'red'.

to me it lookz like ventrata..........to me.......though....so yeah......

Thanks for the help guys! Now I have a better idea of what conditions I should be giving it. ;)

It is more than likely a young ventricosa, or in your case, group of them lol. Dont rule out Sanguinea either as the leaves look like sanguineas peltate leaf i could just have bad eyesight at the time though.

Back