What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera Identification - brevifolia or capillaris?

Hi, I was wondering around ANF yesterday in search of anything cool. This probably highlighted the list as I am an animal person, not generally plants. I was in Liberty County, FL and found this guy resting just beneath a log (not under) all by itself. I only have this one picture at the moment but later today can post more if needed.

DSC_4958.jpg

Also does anyone happen to know exactly what polysaccharide molecules are produces by this species or this genus even?

I would go with capillaris. Does it look like this?

Picture026.jpg

This is D. brevifolia, for what it's worth:

IMG_0213.jpg

This plant was tiny by my standards. I would say no bigger than 8cm wide. Each leave, extending from the base, was probably 2-3 cm. No flower. The petioles were not very long, especially compared to the leaf blade. They may have even been a 1:1 length ratio. The glandular dewdrop protuberances were only measurable in mm I would think.

Other than the scape having these dewdrops, is there another way to positively differentiate capillaris from brevifolia?

I'm leaning towards capillaris...

Moved to the Identify That Plant forum.

xvart.

Post more photos if you have them. It's difficult to make out the leaf shape from the one photo. D. brevifolia will have wedge shaped leaves, D. capillaris will be more spoon shaped (rounding slightly at the petiole). If there is any trace of hair on the petioles than it is Drosera capillaris.

Given the description of the petioles in your other post I would suspect Drosera brevifolia. However there appears to be prominent stipules - more a trait of D. capillaris.

http://www.omnisterra.com/botany/cp/pictures/drosera/0077.htm
7. Drosera brevifolia Pursh. Petioles 5-10 mm. long, dilated, glabrous. Leaf-blades cuneate, 4-10 mm. long, usually longer than the petioles. Stipules absent or reduced to one or two minute setaceous segments. Scape 4-9 cm. long, bearing 1-8 flowers about 15 mm. in diameter. Sepals glandular- pubescent, oblong-ovate, 2.5-3.5 mm. long. Petals rose to white, obovate, 4-5 mm. long. Seeds black 0.3-0.4 mm. long obovate, oblong, caudate at base, crateriform, the pits in 10-12 rows.

6. Drosera capillaris Poir. Petioles 0.6-4 cm long, sparsely glandular- pilose. Leaf-blades broadly spatulate, 5-10 mm. long, 3-5 mm. wide, usually shorter than the petioles. Stipules free, or adnate for the first millimeter, then breaking into numerous setaceous segments 3-5 mm. long. Scape glabrous, 4-20 cm. long, Bearing 2-20 flowers. Flowers pink, 10 mm. wide. Sepals oblong-elliptic, 3-4 mm. long, obtuse. Petals 6-7 mm. long. Capsule 4-5 mm. long, surpassing the calyx. Seeds brown, elliptic to oblong-ovate, 0.4-0.5 mm. long, asymmetric, coarsely papillose-corrugated in 14-16 ridges.

Common in the coastal area from se. Va. to Tex. May - Aug:

Here's a picture with greater depth, from above. The rest of my photos all had pretty limited depth of field as I was focusing on the sugary glands.
DSC_4952.jpg

Hmmmm, not a lot of stipule action in your photos which supports D. brevifolia. Also the more flattened aspect of the petioles suggests D. brevifolia. I would say that the best diagnostics will be found in the flowering plant's scape, flowers and seed but I would lean towards D. brevifolia from what I can see, but don't bank on it! Please update with some floral/seed photos if and when possible and I'll throw in another 2 cents worth.

Back