What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got my new camera, but... yeah.

Here's my current confusion:

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

It was sold to me as a Drosera dichotoma 'Giant', but I was under the impression the leaves on those are much longer. Might I have accidentally been sent a "Marston Dragon" cultivar instead? The description of Marston Dragon sounds like what I see here, but, I'm not sure.

Here's the other one I noticed today, as I was figuring out how to take zoomed in shots on my new camera:

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

This is my oldest Dorsera and oldest carnivorous plant, it's about 2.5 years old and I originally got it at Wallgreens on a whim. The soil actually goes down a bit further, the older leaves have perlite stuck to them due to how I water it.

So, what is that red thing? Is it a runner? A root? Some form of deformation? I was ultimately trying to get a picture of the baby plant coming out from the main plant, so... Didn't even notice that growth until today -- it might be rather new.

I don't have an experience in fork sundews, but I think thre red/pick thing on the capensis might be a root. Looks that way to me.

I don't have an experience in fork sundews, but I think thre red/pick thing on the capensis might be a root. Looks that way to me.

I hope not. That root is easily 4 inches off the ground if not more.

You binata is still immature. I'm going to stick with the original label until it matures a bit more. It will take time and bright light to bring out the true features of the plant. From what I can see your plant is pretty light deprived. Is there any way at all that you could give it more light? The red bump on your capensis is a root. It should lengthen until you can cut it off and treat it as a root cutting.

You binata is still immature. I'm going to stick with the original label until it matures a bit more. It will take time and bright light to bring out the true features of the plant. From what I can see your plant is pretty light deprived. Is there any way at all that you could give it more light? The red bump on your capensis is a root. It should lengthen until you can cut it off and treat it as a root cutting.

It's only been growing for a few weeks, When I got it it didn't have much other than 2 pale yellow stems coming out, it really has recovered well from that. I am not sure if where I got it from was light starving it or if it just broke dormancy with me.

It gets about as much light as it can get right now, It is unfortunately in a western facing window -- the only one I have -- so it doesn't get direct light until around 1, then stops getting direct light again around 6. Does get indirect sun pretty much all day. In a few months I could probably put it outside but my deck is in a nook, so the light wouldn't be that much better.

I'm loathe to try and put it in my lighting setup once I get it done tomorrow, it'll very quickly outgrow that.

How long should I wait until I snip the root and treat it as a root cutting?

The binata might be a multifida

Your Drosera binata may never display its true characteristics, as it hasn't been getting sufficient light.

Your Drosera capensis is growing an aerial root. It is quite common to see them on older plants. If conditions are right the root will grow down into the media. If you wanted to take a top cutting, to shorten the plant, just below this root would be a good place to make the cut.

Last edited:
The photos outside of the first one were taken at 8 at night with the blinds closed, so yeah, a bit dark in them. :) I'm gonna take a few today with the intent of capturing what kinda light they actually get during the day. Everything else I have grows just fine in that area, so I am hoping that the new ones are just... new... and that's why they're not doing so hot yet.

Back