What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ping ID

I was told this is a P. 'Sethos' without flower. Now that it's flowering can someone tell me what it really is?

Pinguiculaflower.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The flower is out of focus so it is difficult to see the necessary details:

Description: Insect-Eat.Pl. & How to Grow Them:113 (1986)

"Of these (hybrids) I would mention [Pinguicula ' Sethos ' {Hort.Slack}] ([[Pinguicula moranensis {H.B.K.}] * [Pinguicula ehlersiae {Speta & Fuchs}]]), a fine, very floriferous clone with large orchid-purple flowers with a many-rayed mouth like a white star. [Pinguicula ' Weser ' {Hort.Slack}], of the same parentage and with rather similar flowers, has a solitary white streak down the central lower lobe and dark veins."

If it does not have these features (underlined above) than it is not a true Pinguicula 'Sethos' but rather just a hybrid Pinguicula moranensis x ehlersiae. It is not a true P. 'Wesser' either since the downward streak is too wide.

See also:
http://www.omnisterra.com/botany/cp/pictures/pinguicu/Sethos_Gluch.htm
http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/zphotos/P_sethos.html

plantlover,

Here is a photo from one of my own plants of Pinguicula 'Sethos'.

P_Sethos_c_small.jpg

I believe that your plant is, quite possibly, this cultivar. Your flower appears to have just opened, by now it should have matured into its full size and appearance. Environmental factors can affect the appearance of the plant, and to a lesser degree the appearance of the flowers. You should notice these changes as your seasons change. At worst, it is a very nice example of a Mexican Pinguicula, or even possibly an unnamed clone of similar parentage to that of Pinguicula 'Sethos'.

Looks like my ping titan when it puts out its winter leaves... just a guess

Back