What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. flava variety

This came from a nursery in Brunswick county NC labeled as "S. flava". As it emerges in the spring it is hunter green with rust-colored top. The S. flava var. maxima from the same nursery is yellow-green with no rust-colored top as it emerges. Is this just an unusual maxima x cuprea cross?

28april2008023.jpg

It could be a Coppertop, or is that the same as cuprea?

I was thinking along the same lines as Capensis, maybe a coppertop? The color will diminish over time. Nice plant none the less!

The common name for Sarracenia flava is Yellow Pitcher Plant. The yellow-green color is typical.

Edit: Ok, I see it now. Hmm, I'm not sure what the above is, then. Good luck.

Yep, its var. Cuprea :) beautiful plant

Edit: the color might not be as pronounced because its the beginning of the growing season, dont expect all plants to show that amazing color yet.

There's no veination...

Yep, its var. Cuprea :) beautiful plant

Edit: the color might not be as pronounced because its the beginning of the growing season, dont expect all plants to show that amazing color yet.

dont base everything from that just yet. how long have you had it? time will tell. but that lid is symbolic to cuprea. im not sure in a hybrid that the color would have stayed like that.
though it could very well be a hybrid.

dont base everything from that just yet. how long have you had it? time will tell. but that lid is symbolic to cuprea. im not sure in a hybrid that the color would have stayed like that.
though it could very well be a hybrid.

I've had these plants in the same growing conditions for 2 years. I don't believe they will ever look different. Though if you told me "copper top doesn't have veins sometimes" I might believe that:-))

id imagine if its seedgrown it could be variability or a very introgressed hybrid. you didnt say youve had this plant for 2 years, so i assumed you had only just received this plant. next time make things more clear please.

Back