What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 Unknown Nepenthes

Capensis is correct Peat. Though age doesnt stop a plant from creating lowers. As the plat climbs it adapts to supports pitchers which will not be suited to sit on the ground, they will look different then those pitchers suited for the ground and are called uppers. The lowers can still be formed by the plant as it sends out basals. The basals are still attached to the mother so it is the same plant but it can be separated from the mother into another individual plant which can repeat the process. As capensis said, uppers tend to have tendrils that will coil more so then lowers, but I have a miranda in my collection that has coiled lowers before.

Thanks frenchy for explaining it better than me. xD

Hmm Ithink the last one Is Mixta, I have one, looks like mine.

Hey

Heres my guess

1.N miranda at most i am wrong it would be a N mixta
2.N.Alata
3.N miranda again..
Leaves of the plant will help to differenciate miranda and maxima...But i'm confident its a miranda..Cos there is no long thingy at the tip of the lid..But on some lowers of miranda they do have a short and stout nub on the end of the lid...(maxima parentage)

Ken

I was going to say N. Miranda for the first one, too; but that was just my first impression and I lost my nerve when everyone else was saying N. maxima... lol.

xvart.

1 and 3 are both 'Miranda'. Absolutely no doubt about it.

Leave it to the experts haha : ) So if i were to put N. miranda on my grow list would that be okay or should I wait until i know what varieties i have? Thanks a lot everyone, huge help.

-peat

'Miranda' has no varieties, it is a cultivar so all clones a the same, genetically.

So how could 1 and 3 be miranda if the outside of their pitchers are completely different colors?

So how could 1 and 3 be miranda if the outside of their pitchers are completely different colors?

Picture 3 looks to be an upper pitcher, so morphologically different.

xvart.

'Miranda' has no varieties, it is a cultivar so all clones a the same, genetically.

From what I read about 'Miranda' there were several crosses of this floating around when Deroos originally started mass producing them it's just the name they gave to the hybrid. Eventually they came to one cultivar because they stopped circulating the other genetic crosses and we're left with the one mass produced one. If you found this in an old green house, it could be one of the other original cross plants.

http://www.lhnn.proboards107.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=pforum&thread=2721&page=1

Picture 3 looks to be an upper pitcher, so morphologically different.

xvart.

X is correct. You are comparing an upper to a lower that is why they look different.

Okay it all makes sense now haha, thanks a lot everyone

3 looks like a mixta, and one looks like a miranda

Back