What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 Unknown Nepenthes

Yellow,

I've got 3 Nepenthes that I would like to get identified. The pictures I have are from the 30+ yr old mother plants. I have many cuttings finally starting to grow but I cant quite tell what they are! Any Nepenthes experts out there who can shed a little light on my situation?

Thanks, Peat

Nepenthes #1

DSC06296.jpg

DSC06302.jpg

DSC06386.jpg

DSC06402.jpg

Nepenthes#2

DSC06387.jpg

DSC06394.jpg

DSC06392.jpg

Nepenthes#3

DSC06410.jpg

DSC06404.jpg

32132bb1.jpg

These are all the pictures i have. Sorry.

I left the pictures rather large in case some close inspection is needed : )

I would say
#1 looks to be Nepenthes maxima
#2 looks to be Nepenthes reinwardtiana though i dont see the 2 common eyespots
#3 Nepenthes madagascariensis and that's really just a case from looks, a further away shot may help

I could be wrong on all of those, hopefully a more experienced Nep grower can help out! Sry i couldnt help out more

N. maxima looks right for #1
#2 could be reinwardtiana but like you said frenchy the two dots are missing
#3 im still not so sure about

#2 is N. alata, possibly the variation "boshiana mimic."

xvart.

#2 is N. alata, possibly the variation "boshiana mimic."

xvart.

That was my second guess as well, a little further stretch also I thought it could be a Nepenthes copelandii

Two Mirandas and an alata?

Thanks a lot everybody. looks like #2 is N. alata
Now for #3... it could prove to be a toughy

#3 Looks like N. x 'Miranda' to me.

Dont think it's miranda, mine has much more red spots on it without any hint of green on the pitcher. The pitcher bottom is round as well though this could just be an upper.

3 might be mixta? 0.o looks similar

Well, I would like to know if you received #3 from a local nursery.

#3 is from a greenhouse. its over 30yrs old. Not sure where it came from.

Frenchy, when you say it "could just be an upper" what do you mean by that.

-peat

That the pitcher in the picture is an upper pitcher of the Nepenthes, as Neps have lowers, intermediates, and uppers.

So each pitcher just has a slightly different appearance based on how old it is?

Er, kind of, I guess. When a Nepenthes is young and still its vine is still short, they produce pitchers that are suited to be on the ground. While the plant ages, the vine grows and grows, until the pitchers are lifted off from the ground. From there, the lower pitchers slowly develop its pitchers, one by one, to upper pitchers, which are designed to capture fly insect, I believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Edit: Also, the tendrils of upper pitchers tend to loop, like the one on your pitcher. That indicates it's probably an upper pitcher. How long is the vine of the plant?

So wouldnt it be easier to identify a Nepenthes from the uppers?

Well, I made an edit, and I guess you posted while I did, but yours seems to have uppers. IMO, it's easier to identify Nepenthes by lowers than uppers, but I guess that's because no one hardly ever need IDs for ones that make uppers since they already have an ID. :x

XVART is correct

#2 IS N. alata, "boshiana mimic." -- I have on in my collection

Back