What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Devil Claws

I got some Devil Claws from a friend in Arizona and I don't know what speices they are. Here is a picture of the seeds and sorry about the quailty of the picture:
Seeds.jpg

Here is the seed pods:
DevilsClaw-1.jpg

I hope someone can identify them for me please.

Possibly I. lutea:

100_0538.jpg

Thank you for answering me and the inside of the seed pod is brown. I hope that helps some. I will post a picture of the inside of the seed pod to help. Is those seeds in the seed pod or the part that covers the other seeds? Just curious.

Last edited:
Each black thingy is an individual seed.

Thank you and Those seeds and seed pods match what I have here. :bigthumpup: I thought those seed pods were spiny and I was just going by what I saw on a website.

To me, the seed pod looks more of the Proboscidea species than of Ibicella.

Here is a picture I took:

DC09.jpg

From left to right: Proboscidea parviflora var. hohokamiana (4 prongs), Proboscidea parviflora var. hohokamiana (2 prongs), Ibicella lutea, and Martynia annua.

Thank you. Does the Proboscidea parviflora var. hohokamiana have black seeds? Just curious and the middle one looks more like what I have.

Thank you. Does the Proboscidea parviflora var. hohokamiana have black seeds? Just curious and the middle one looks more like what I have.

I'm pretty sure they're white.

Yes, Proboscidea parviflora var. hohokamiana produces white seed. All Proboscidea species produce very similar looking seed pods though.

As far as I know:
-Ibicella produces only black seed.
-Proboscidea parviflora var. hohokamiana may be the only Proboscidea variety that produces white seed.
-The other major Proboscidea species such as louisianica, althaeifolia, and the typical parviflora produce black seed.

So.... based on the claw in your picture, I'd say you have Proboscidea species that (obviously) produces black seed. You'll have to wait until your plants flowers to determine the species. The flower color will give it away. However, I have heard that they all readily hybridize. So, there is a chance you may have a hybrid.

Good luck growing them!

Oh, and here is a list in case you need it:

-Proboscidea althaeifolia = Yellow flowers = Black Seed
-Proboscidea louisianica = White flowers (may have spotted pattern) = Black Seed
-Proboscidea parviflora = Light pink flowers (may be whitish) with a yellow "nectar trail" = Black Seed
-Proboscidea parviflora var. hohokamiana = Pink flowers with a yellow "nectar trail" = White to Cream Colored Seed

Thank you and I will need a lots of luck. how long will it take for them to sprout? Just asking.

Last edited:
Joel knows more than I do. And Allegedhuman may know more than Joel! Here's additional pictures from last year:

100_0539.jpg

IMG_0720.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg

DSCF1690.jpg

of505904427-1.jpg

I saw a picture on a website of a Proboscidea louisianica seed pod and it does look like what I have here. I was going by a picture on a website. Now I got those White seeded Devil's Claws.

Last edited:
Back