What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pygmy Drosera ID

Ok. Here's one for all of you pygmy people. Bought the gemmae as roseana. Doesn't really look like it, but I don't know if this might be a growth habit due to lighting or something similar. Probably not, but I figured I'd chock it up to those who have more experience with pygmies.

P1010391-2.jpg

Looks like D. scorpioides. Does it look like this on your end?

Picture003-1.jpg

I was thinking scorpioides because of the height. It's certainly not the flat rosette I was expecting. However, there's no coloration to them yet, so I was thinking perhaps the lighting is too low, and causing a different growth pattern.

I'm by far no expert but unless there's another pygmie that resembles scorpioides...then I'd say scorpioidies. They definitely look like what mine look like. Nice plants :)

D. lasiantha resembles scorpiodes but much harder to come by.

100_05561.jpg

You know, it doesn't really look like any of your dews are getting enough light. What kind of lighting do you have? Perhaps the dews are growing vertically in an attempt to get more light.

nah his plants are scorpioides...the leaves are too round for it...
could be really etiolated, judging by the dew just behind it which also looks a little light starved

I was thinking scorpioides because of the height. It's certainly not the flat rosette I was expecting. However, there's no coloration to them yet, so I was thinking perhaps the lighting is too low, and causing a different growth pattern.

Yes- you are correct, Draven. They look like they're pretty etiolated. It does appear to be D. roseana, as they were labeled. But the leaves should be turning a nice red coloration if they had enough light. I'd eventually recommend moving the as close to your lights as possible, but do this gradually so they don't get scortched. D. roseana will form a stem over time, but it shouldn't be that rapid...

You know, it doesn't really look like any of your dews are getting enough light. What kind of lighting do you have? Perhaps the dews are growing vertically in an attempt to get more light.
I have to agree. The D. spatulata i think? behind the pygmies should have a bit of red coloration on the leaves if it was getting enough light. I don't know how far yours are from the lights, but I have mine less than 4 inches away from my T-8 and T-12 bulbs.

they are about 6-8" from a 65W PC light, and maybe 12-15" from a second 65W. I can move them into a 10 gal with a 96W PC quad, but I have too many baby cephs and heliamphora! I need to thin the herd a little first. Anyone local looking for some Cephs or H. minor? haha.

I am unfamiliar with PC lights (power compact?). I haven't heard of them being used in plant cultivation, and would be wary of using them. Are the bulbs very old?

I just changed the two over the carnivores a few weeks ago. There are 4 bulbs total, and I rotate the old bulbs to the opposite side, where there are mostly miniature orchids and such. The bulbs have worked fine for growing plants. 6700K spectrum, and I've been growing things (legal, I swear!) under PC lights for years. Drosera are a bit new to me, but I have an H. minor and Cephalotus growing for a couple years, as well as several Neps growing in the same area and doing quite well. I suppose I can free up another 10 gallon, and use my other 96W on it. I just need to find room...hmm...

I know there are those of you out there that will swear by grow lights/fluorescents/whatever and terrariums. I think they are a waste of space and electricity. I grow all my plants outside during the summer except pings and utrics. And in my bay window during the winter. No terrariums. Just shallow water trays. Nothing beats natural sunlight for growing healthy plants. As long as there is adequate water in the trays, low humidity doesn't bother them.

These plants aren't getting enough of the right light. They are etoliated, light green instead of dark green and lack any red coloration typical in the tentacles of most pygmy dews. Try slowly adapting them to real sunlight and see if that doesn't make a difference.

P1010391-2.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Back