What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confusion- D. dielsiana or D. natalensis?

After talking with Christian Dietz, he informed me that most D. dielsiana in cultivation are actually D. natalensis, so I was curious if anyone had ideas as to what my plants can be classified as. I know Tamlin was researching this a while back, so I'm hoping he can shed some light on this. If you have pictures that you wish to id. feel free to add them to this thread, and maybe we can make some comparisons. I would love to see a combination of flower and seed shots along with your "Dielsiana" plant picture since Tamlin has mentioned how diagnostic the seed can be for each species.

Below are my shots of my currently labeled D. dielsiana, and I have included pics of my D. venusta "coccicaulis" flower and seed for comparison, since it's a member of the Natalensis complex.

What I currently have labeled as D. dielsiana:
dielsiana_6.JPG

flower
Dielsiana_flower_closeup_thumb.JPG

seed
Dielsiana_seeds_thumb.JPG

As you can see, the seed looks more "round" and is a bit larger than D. capensis, but you can check the pics below to see how much larger the seeds are than D. venusta.

D. venusta

flower
Here's a comparison to seed from my D. venusta "coccicaulis"
DSC00842.jpg

seeds
Venusta_coccicaulis_seeds_thumb.JPG

seeds
Venusta_size_comparison_thumb.JPG

Thanks for the link, NaN. That's too bad the leaves don't match up too. However, I've found this species has variable leaf shapes depending on whether it is fed or gets too little light. So at one time, it had leaves that looked similar to the Dielsiana leaf on that diagram, but now they seem to look more like the Natalensis than Dielsiana. However, the seed is pretty convincing to me.

Well, now Christian has responded on CPUK and thinks it is D. natalensis after all:
Quote:
"for me, the first plant is rather D. natalensis than D. dielsiana as it has fusiform seeds and divided styles. -Christian "

So I may have to change the labels afterall...

Well he has more experience with these species then me. They do look somewhat fusiform but lack the testa on both sides. Look at them under high magnification to see if they are honeycombed.

Maybe they're hybrids.

Yeah, I was almost wondering that, NaN. It could be that someone really wanted to confuse people, and made a hybrid of 2 very similar-looking plants, lol.

Back