What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Volunteer bladderworts?

Can anyone tell me what species that is poking up in this capensis' pot? Not sure what I should do with them, if anything...

Thanks. ;D

2v9wwmu.png

That is moss' flower pods. Also, it looks like your capensis is in flower, the green thing with the ball attached on the left. Grats! First flower ;)

Are there visible flowers, if you actually see blooms, then its not a moss spore pod.

Here's a better pic of them:

2cyhcz.png

Ooh those are definately utrics. I don't know Jeff is the Utric expert;) might be livida (???) from the leaves. :/

They look like Utricularia flower scapes to me, not moss sporophytes. The only way to tell is to let them blossom.

Most likely they are either U. bisquamata or U. subulata which are very common (and invasive) species in CP collections.

How to get rid of them? A flame thrower might do the trick - maybe. Both of these species are more prolific than Drosera capensis and just as durable.

Do Bisquamata harm plants in the same pot, because i got a new one in my mini-bog..

Ok, thanks.

I got it at UNCC today, asked Dr. Mellichamp what they were and he said "Ah.. bladderworts. You might like them, might not..."

I didn't press him farther; he was very busy with the plant sale.

By the way, NaN, I got some more shots of their Sarracenia hybrids (all of them, I think). I'll post them soon.

Edit: And I'm still not sure if I want to purge them or what. I guess I could bare-root the capensis, move it, and leave them in that pot. It's only a 3.5 inch pot anyway...

Utricularia will not harm your plants. The added bonuses are they usually have pretty flowers and they bladders with catch fungus gnat larvae.

Utricularia will often speed up the break down of peat moss though.

Grumpus, you can try repotting but the tiniest bit of Utricularia stolon will eventually grow out. Yes, people usually love or hate Utricularia. I'm not overly fond of them spreading to my other pots but don't mind them in isolation.

Can't wait to see the UNCC photos.

I was going to say U. bisquamata as well.

xvart.

I don't know Jeff is the Utric expert;) might be livida (???) from the leaves. :/

Thanks for saying so, but Travis/rattler are the real experts, at least in the U.S..

Grumpus - You'll like them. Those stalks look exactly the U. subulata I had in my pots. I managed to separate them out during several repottings. I don't think they're THAT bomb-proof. You can basically kill any cp (except pings, etc) by letting them dry out excessively.

But you wouldn't want to do that to your lovely bladderwort....

Although they did not make flowers for you this time around, try sowing their seed. Then you might just get a clone that actually puts out flowers instead of just seed pods.

Warm temps and high water levels along with fresh seed increase your germination rates.

Anything that eats fungus gnat larvae is ok by me. I'm not sure what to do with them yet, but I won't try to purge them.

Heh, a month ago I got one deathbox D. adelae on a lark, now I have 4 different species of CP (including the Utricularia) in 6 pots and I'm off to look into germinating seeds of things I never heard of before today...

Somebody stop me.

Lol.

That came from a Lowes Death Cube?! I've never had that sort of luck before.

Oh yeah, you'll want a lotta light to sprout those seeds.

No, no.. it was a D. adelae I got at Lowe's and it was nowhere near that healthy. I took a plantlet off the adelae that is doing well, but the mother plant spent the last month dying back and just now put up its first leaf...

That capensis came from the UNCC plant sale, but I don't think it was grown there. I don't know who the grower is, but the plants looked very nice like the VFT I got here...

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117779

Well you chose a capensis with a flower stalk on it too, so you can try to germinate utrics, and drosera seed.

OOOOO scary.

Dunno, looks like U. bisquamata to me. :x

I think U. bisquamata has wider leaves than the ones in the pic. Then again I've never grown U. bisquamata.

Back