What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weird Moss

I would inline this one but apparently I forgot to shrink it:

http://kita.ath.cx/plants/05.19.09/weird-moss.jpg

Here's a different picture:
Rash.jpg

Any ideas as to what this moss is? It started growing under one of my plants one day and kinda took over the pot. It doesn't appear to be Sphagnum, but I donno for sure. If I push on it it is fuzzy and a weird dust comes off.

The plant seems to not mind, other than that strange red rash that keeps appearing.

I am loathe to try and repot to get rid of it, there are several Pygmys growing in that pot with it, and we all know how well they like to be repotted...

Not that I'm exactly running out of Pygmys, mind you. ;)

just normal "pot moss" that winds up growing everywhere after awhile.....some ppl freak out about it but i generally ignore it....i really havent seen any negative side effects of just leaving it alone.....trying to keep it out of your collection entirely will defiantly raise your blood pressure

I'm more worried bout it hurting my Pygmys, really... It's only in this single pot for now, so I can ignore it. Assuming it's not lethal or somethin. ;)

Wonder if Sphagnum would out-grow it?

i never have it and sphag in the same pot.....think they like two slightly different sets of conditions...

as to your pygmys....IME it may choke out the more delicate, finicky species but the more robust species dont seem to mind it....

That moss looks cool. :) I like the lime green colour in it.

I have that moss sometimes too.

It grows thick and creates a solid top layer like turf grass. It makes it difficult to top-water plants as it repels water and soaks up water intended for you particular CP.

I pull it out before it gets established and/or use alcohol to kill it. A soil treatment with Neem oil also helps prevent it from sprouting.

I'd just manually remove it and add fresh media.

it winds up everywhere... i wouldnt bother with it...

looks kinna cool when you get a nice carpet

ive not noticed a problem watering with the moss being there.....even the handful of pots that i just top water it hasnt seemed to cause an issue......

Back