What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's not really a plant..

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Found this guy on a pot, in the grow rack:

Picture007-8.jpg

Picture011-1.jpg

Katydid :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tettigoniidae Looks like a grasshopper (but with huge antennae).

I would suggest planting it right away, seeing as it was shipped bareroot it might dry out. Oh, but be careful, it might eat away at your other plants leaves.

Who knows what else resides in your growrack/in your house. :O

It'll eat my plants?! Maybe the cat will eat it first!

kill it. trust me, they are like a minor plague.

katydid are awesome, but i would definitely remove it from your grow area ASAP unless you want to start seeing him pull the magical disappearing plant trick.

Ah, so that's what those are! I get them a few times a year in my house, usually at night. The cats love chasing them around and eventually eating them.

Last summer a Cicada got in - they were in heaven with something that moved and made noise; swat, "buzzzzz", swat, "buzzzzz"....
It went on for hours - before one of them ate it! :D

I can't find the critter. The plants look unaffected. We do have a cat, but I doubt she's done anything to him. It's a mystery.

Best I can make out it is Microcentrum retinerve - Lesser Angle-winged Katydid

http://bugguide.net/node/view/29605

Some katydids are predatory, but I believe this species is a leaf eater.

I get katydids around my plants... they're alright. never hurt mine. But that's just me...

You find the bug and you feed it to your plants. Sarr. or Neps would eat it. If it is a sarr or a nep you can just euthanize it and feed it to the plants.

Chop it THEN feed it to your plants..Muahaahahahahahahahahah!!!!

Back