What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. cyclosecta

This was given to me labeled as "P. cyclosecta" with a question mark...

Whadda you think?
???
p_cyclo.jpg

p_cyclo2.jpg

FWIW, its the only ping I have that hasn't flowered.... which may or may not be a characteristic in itself

Thanks in advance
Av

very nice!!

Great color and camera. Here's mine for comparison (for shape... not color!):

Picture003-7-1.jpg

LOL, ummmm Jim... it is my understanding that this plant oriiginally came from you :)
so do you think its the same?

Or does that cloudy the water even more?
Av

The color is out of this world! WOW!

On mine, there is a distinct "waist" on the leaves, almost like a notch. You can see it in Jim Scott's picture. His color is more like mine, too, green with purple edges.

I'm no Pinguicula expert but it doesn't look like P. cyclosecta to me. The leaves on P. cyclosecta lay flat to the ground. The coloration in jimscott's photograph is typical from photos of other plants of the same species in cultivation.

It depends on when you got the plant from Jimscott. I had sent him some replacement pullings from the P. cyclosecta in my collection. The ones he had previously did not survive when he moved to a different residence. I had obtained my plant from Peter (pingman).

It doesnt look like it to me either, but I dunno much about pings

The plant came from from a friend who got it from Jim
It was labeled as a P. cyclosecta (with the question mark)

FWIW, It is under intense lighting (its on my heli shelf)

So the obvious question becomes, any educated guesses?

???

LOL! There's too many variables in there. The one I pictures indeed came from Warren (earlier this year?) I can't tell for sure, but the perimeter has that same look about it, which reminds me of 1713 & 1717 types. Maybe try a leaf cutting and give it less intense light, s it ends up being greenish purple?

Hi

It is very difficult to tell from the photo (which is awesome btw). For me, based on that photo, the plant is not P. cyclosecta. Under low light, P. cyclosecta is largely green. Under good light, the amount of purple in the leaf increases. I have never seen reddish colours in a P. cyclosecta (both in photos and in my own collection). Here is what my plants look like:

Pcyclosecta.jpg

Random014.jpg

Based on the photo, I consider the plant looks more like it belongs to the P. ehlersiae section of Pings. It could also be a hybrid. Photos of the whole plant, the winter leaves and ideally a flower will be needed to give the plant a name.

Matt

Excellent information and pics, thanks!!

I will look at cp photo finder at the species mentioned and see what seems close. Since I dont know for sure she will keep her "question mark" but without the cyclo part ;)

ty ty ty,
Av

After looking around a bit it sure does resemble P. ehlersiae or a close hybrid of

:)

It's not P. ehlersiae nor a hybrid of it. It's too small.

Here's the original plants that yours came form Av:
P1020832.jpg
[/url]

When I first received it from Jim a year or two (or three?) ago I got it with a bunch of other tiny plantlets. They were too small to tell much about their traits. Something got mixed up somewhere. I lost the P. cyclosecta without even knowing it. I bet it is most likely 1717 or 1713 like Jim mentioned. I received both of those at the same time. Is there any way to tell between 1717 and 1713?

Sorry for all the trouble it's caused Av.

Those could be P. debbertiana also. The leaves vary quite a bit depending on light/season:

P. debbertiana (plant from pingman)
PB100099.jpg

07020011.jpg

P5200093.jpg

P. Yucca Do 1713, P. esseriana (smaller plants) (from jimscott):
PB100096.jpg

P. cyclosecta (pingman)
PB100095.jpg

P7060131.jpg

07020009.jpg

Flowers will tell.

Sorry for all the trouble it's caused Av.

awwwww omg, no trouble.... fun yes, trouble noooooo
anyways it gave me a cheap excuse to post the pics

trouble my arse woman....:slap:

hehehehe

1713 & 1717 look alike to me. But then again, most of them look too much like a moranensis.

Picture010.jpg

Picture011-3.jpg

Picture003-7-1.jpg
cyclosecta

Picture002-8.jpg
esseriana

Picture033-1.jpg
jaumviensis

Picture085.jpg
ehleresiae

Not too much difference in these plants to me, but cyclosecta does have a purplish cast.

It is not cyclosecta. If it came form Jim and he has both 1717 and 1713 then it is esseriana/jauvamensis. Those two are insidious spreaders, if anyone knows about that it is me :D

Thanks Pyro! Maybe eventually one of us will get a flower to help ID it.

Matt, Nan, Jim, Crissy... nice pics and very good info

Pyro?.... hmmmm who is that masked microbiologist that sweeps in like a thief in the night and gives forth words of truth and wisdom ;)
(good to see ya mate)

Its plain to see I need more pings.... :p

Thanks Pyro! Maybe eventually one of us will get a flower to help ID it.

Hey Crystal,

I have flowered both 1713 and 1717, 5 years in a row actually... And no one, not even the real experts, was able to decide which of the two species it was. Which leads me to believe that the two species ought not be segregated in the first place.

Matt, Nan, Jim, Crissy... nice pics and very good info

Pyro?.... hmmmm who is that masked microbiologist that sweeps in like a thief in the night and gives forth words of truth and wisdom ;)
(good to see ya mate)

Oh, I have been around, just been shadow lurking :) But it is good to be seen none the less :-D

Its plain to see I need more pings.... :p

Careful, that way lies and addiction, trust me I know :p

Hey AV-

Not to hijack this thread, but DANG!! Those are some nice macro shots.

I know you've been asked this question before, but what camera are you using?

Thanks and Good Growing,
E

Back