What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Sarr Beauty is This?

i'd say a mix between leuco and flava var. atropurpurea

I agree with Bloke, very beautiful though! I love it!

Photo is very obviously digitally enhanced..
(notice that some of the fake red coloration is outside the pitchers..in the grass)
the real plant does not look like that..

its a photoshop job..

Scot

I enlarged the photo. There is no red coloration in the grass, just some other pitchers in the background. From the shadows it is obvious that a flash was used which would enhance the colors. And granted the color balance could be off, but that's the nature of color photography.

On the website where the photo is posted it says they photos are copyright Bob Hanrahan. He is a very well known person in the carnivorous plant community. It says the plants are in his private bog and that it is the "rare red form" of S. leucophylla. The red in "Dana's Delight" had to come from somewhere.

http://www.generasian.ca/cp_north.html

Great link NaN, if his leucos look like that in April (bottom left pic) I would die to see them in August!
There's some great hybrid material in those bogs that's for sure. Wow

I dont know..I still say its photoshopped..

the plants might actually be somewhat red..
I cant tell if ALL the red is faked..or if just the red channel alone was super-saturated..
but its definitely highly enhanced..

anyone have an email address for Bob Hanrahan?
that would clinch it..
I bet he would say thats not what the original photo looks like!
if it is in fact his photo..someone messed with it..

(you cropped out the obviously red strand of grass I was talking about..
its on the left side of the original pic..)

it might not be 100% faked..but its certainty "highly enhanced" to make the red much more intense than in reality..

To me, they look like the exact same Sarracenia x moorei plants that are in the backgrund..just colored red.

Scot

I don't think they're pure leucophylla.... they appear to have some flava in them. The mouth doesn't look right, more like a flava than a leuco. Also, the neck that holds the lid on looks a lot like a flava's, like more rounded and compact. I'd say it's a x moorei, maybe with some backcrossing. Nice colors, though, a beautiful Sarr if I ever saw one! Good luck on identifying it!

Aslan

Hey All-

By anychance, does anyone have any contact info (e-mail addy) with Mr. Bob Hanrahan?
Maybe he could update us on this particular sarr, and where I can get my grubby paws on one:-D

Thanks,
E

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 AM ----------

Found it!

---------- Post added at 03:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 AM ----------

Hiya All-

I just got a reply back from Mr. Hanrahan, and he said that the photographer just used a flash and nothing else. He also added that, "plant pretty much looks that
way every year." :0o:

Unfortunately, plants on his property are not proprigated for sale :-(

E

Hmmm, that Sarracenia "leucophylla" has quite a long spur, and the column is quite skinny. I think that that plant may contain some S. flava genes somewhere.

I don't think they're pure leucophylla.... they appear to have some flava in them. The mouth doesn't look right, more like a flava than a leuco. Also, the neck that holds the lid on looks a lot like a flava's, like more rounded and compact. I'd say it's a x moorei, maybe with some backcrossing. Nice colors, though, a beautiful Sarr if I ever saw one! Good luck on identifying it!

Aslan

Indeed.

I believe the photography. I am skeptical in it's heritage, but you never know.

???

It riivals Andrian Slack!

Back