What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. natalensis vs. D. ?

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
This plant came to me as D. natalensis:

Picture003-17.jpg

It recently produced this flower:

Picture012-6.jpg

This plant sprung up in a pot and was previously identified as D. natalensis

Picture004-8.jpg

Today I took this pic, obviously showing a white flower, although not totally opened.

Picture004-10.jpg

Which is the real natalensis and what is the other?

Maybe both. There are many sundews with different colored flowers, like <a href="http://www.cpphotofinder.com/drosera-cistiflora-144.html">D. cistiflora.</a>

Drosera natalensis
(excerpted from Droseracea: The Flora of Southern Africa Vol. 13 by A.A. Obermeyer)

Inflorescence borne on a wiry scape, elongating during anthesis, up to 25 cm. long, the base straight or some what curved, glabrous or with a few straggling hairs below; pedicels up to 5 mm. long; flowers small, up to about 10, secund, rarely open. Calyx-lobes ovate, 3 mm. long. Petals white pink or purple, 5 mm. long. Stamens with the upper part of the filament and connective dilated. Styles forked from the base and divided again towards the apex, the stigmatic apex somewhat distended.

Thanks for the links. Bob really did make the Photofinder "new and improved'. I really like being able to mouse over a picture link and see a picture. I went to pictures of D. natalensis and skimmed through what I could mouseover. I didn't see any white flowers. Surprisingly, I found 3 of my own pictures.

To you guys, could the white flowered plant actually be a natalensis?

Hey Jim,

You're plant could quite possibly be what is called Drosera coccicaulis"albino" if the flower remains white in brightly lit conditions, though I do see some redness in the tentacles.

Even though I think that D. coccicaulis isn't even an official name for this plant, (which I lovingly refer to as the "D. natalensis, venusta, dielsiana, aliciae- complex) it will be interesting to see if your flower remains white.

Happy Growing,

Brian.

Brian, thanks for youe input. Hopefully, I can catch an open blossom. I am familiar with the cocchiacaulis / natalensis, etc... controversy.

Slightly better picture:

Picture006-6.jpg

New flower to go with:

Picture004-8.jpg

Picture006-11.jpg

Back