What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia id plz...

bought this which was supposed to be a U. quelchii. looking around the forums though, it seems to be something else possibly. can you confirm that it's a U. quelchii or is it something else?

DSCN2863.jpg

looks like immature U. quelchii leaves to me....

Last edited by a moderator:
phew....i didn't even know what immature U. quelchii leaves looked like.

Is that the one that I got a little chunk of a few months ago?

Mine's just now starting to grow new leaves.

FWIW, that's almost identical to what mine looks like.

Katie, i actually found it on e-bay. quite a find. there were two available (with the buy now option), and within 4 hours both were gone! safe to say, i was pretty happy. even more happy that it's verified as U. quelchii. for a time i thought it was a U. nephrophylla.

My first thought was U. nephrophylla, only because I actually have a colony. But when the replies were all U. quelchii, which I've never had,.. I kept my mouth shut. Here's my U. nephropylla for comparison:

Picture001-5.jpg

hahaha. to tell you the truth jim, the reason why i had doubts about the plant WAS because i was looking at your Utric photos. add to that, i've never had either plant before. but now i think i can tell a subtle difference. your U. nephrophylla has an interesting bumpy like texture on the leaves, while the U. quelchii looks smoother. looking at other pictures, this seems to be the case! yay for independent learning!

would say its gonna be awhile before your gonna be able to officially identify it.....could very well be U. quelchii .....

Here it is, the battle of the utrics!

LOL!

I trust that mine is U. quelchii, ultimately, it came from a source that should know. Only time will tell, now!

So, erm, what does it like?

So, erm, what does it like?

was there a picture that you meant to include? from your quote it sounded like it, but i dont see a picture...almost like a pokemon battle. hahaha. pokemon--i am OLD!

as for what it likes? you mean like what im growing it in? i meant to do a 1:1:1 orchid bark, LFS, and perlite mix. for the strangest reason, i decided to do a 1:1 LFS, perlite mix instead. i know people have noted that the sphagnum breaks down and causes problems, but im hoping that will not be the case since i am using transparent pots, which will allow sphagnum to grow inside the pot, thus prevent total breakdown of the moss.

dunno if it is a vigorous grower. from my experience with utric plugs, they always appear to die due to reduction in leaf production, but are actually investing energy in sending out tons of stolons and runners in resulting in an unexpected (yet expected) vengeful comeback. as long as i can see runners spreading all over the pot, i'll be happy.

Yeah, I was asking what kind of conditions and stuff the plant likes. I was tired and a bit "punchy" last night. ;)

I know that the "mega" Utrics sometimes go dormant, so I am watching fo that in my U. reniformis. So far, it's got TONS of stolons, and quite a few leaves.

So im deciding to resurrect this thread because i think there is a good possibility that this plant is not U. quelchii but U. tricolor. opinions anyone?
my plant:
quelchii.jpg

U. tricolor:
ut2.jpg

Could be a small leaved form of U. reniformis. Hard to say without flowers. Might be able to tell soon by observing the stolons/"tuber" .....

problem with identifying Utrics by the lollons is that different conditions will affect the shape of them......flower and trap morphology are bout the only real way....

problem with identifying Utrics by the lollons is that different conditions will affect the shape of them......flower and trap morphology are bout the only real way....

having stolons is much better than having none in my opinion. right? maybe i dont know enough about Utric morphology. but if they do possess stolons at least we could rule out U. tricolor, which isnt even in the orchidioides complex.

Crap, it does look like my U. tricolor.
I sure hope my "young U. quelchii" I'm reciving off ebay is actually U. quelchii and not U. tricolor considering how much I paid for it compared to U. tricolor ... :(

@swords: my sentiments EXACTLY! the thing with U. tricolor is that it hardly ever blooms, which makes the mystery even more frustrating. if you got your plug from DD, you should be in safe hands though. he's pretty legit.

every orchidioides ive grown and U. tricolor has had stolons so im not sure what your getting at? U. tricolor doesnt have tubers and the orchdioides should (but not always with individual plants in individual conditions)

the tubers. more commonly seen with U. alpinia, but similar sized stolon/root potato looking things seem in reniformis.

ive seen tubers in ever orchidioides section Utric ive gotten established......what U. reniformis does is something else entirely.....

Back