What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

now i have no idea what the heck this is...

DSCN2922.jpg

i initially thought this plant was just a weed...until i saw something shiny.
i poked it and as it turns out, this thing has GLANDS! :-O it doesn't look like any type of sundew to me, what is it?

btw im not talking about the forked sundew...hahaha.

i initially thought this plant was just a weed...until i saw something shiny.
i poked it and as it turns out, this thing has GLANDS! :-O it doesn't look like any type of sundew to me, what is it?

btw im not talking about the forked sundew...hahaha.

I get a weed that looks like that sometimes. The glands on mine are just hairs that catch condensation.

that's what i thought, but it's not regular glands, it produces mucilage too! as you draw the pencil away from the plant, you can actually see it. not unlike a sundew. i know there are other plants that are non carnivorous that produce stickiness also like potatoes and tomatoes etc...could be one of those.

young binata or multifida.
Or are you talking about that thing with ovate leaves above it? If so that would be schizandra or some weird tuberous dew.

My guess is D. schizandra

it'd be nice if it were a D. schizandra. i've never had one before---hahahha.
you know what that means....i need to get an adelae and a prolifera too :)

i would say a young adelae, but only if that soil has come in contact with adelae in the past....if it were soil from an older lowes death cube, i wouldnt put it past it at all....i had some D. adelae "die" for a year then come back suddenly out of nowhere and make me do a triple take on it....

after looking at some queensland sisters, im beginning to think that it might not be a sundew at all. with most sundew seedlings, the tentacles are quite defined and large. the tentacles here, if they are tentacles, are really small. as you can see, you can barely see them.

sigh...i guess only time will tell.

Maybe a Devils Claw?

I third the schizandra comment. Although they are very difficult to grow. If it continues to grow and looks more schiz-like, give it subdued light. Schizandras despise strong light. Wow. Best hitchiker evah!

Maybe a Devils Claw?

perhaps. i was thinking of that too. how large is a devil's claw seed? i've never had one, and judging from the size of the seed capsules they must be on the large side.

very well could be a devils claw......though i think youd know if you planted one of those ;) i tried em last season..but, a better pic would help greatly...also looks like one of my many petunia seedlings right now, which also have sticky mucous on the leaves...

The leaf bases don't look like D. schizandra's...

So I don't think it's that.

hahaha. in my defense, i didn't plant anything in this pot. it was given to me by another forum member. this plant didn't make it's way into my view until maybe a week ago.

I would say it could be the start of a Drosera adelae infestation though I can't really see the glandular hairs on yours (they must be very fine) and yours have a definite petiole impression down the center of the leaf. Can you get a clearer shot of the plant? It may not be a "true" CP at all. Many plants have sticky hairs and now Kew Botanical Gardens seems to think sticky hairs on any plant means they're a CP these days (according to a new report).

Just for your comparison here's a shot of my D. adelae from Lowes which has died off and is coming back from old leaves and the root system you can see small plants somewhat similar to yours popping up here and there:

droseraadelae.jpg

I did not own a D. adelae in the past but I had one pop up in my N. hamata's pot back then. I must have used some moss from someone else who had one and it had a seed in it (unless NZ LFS can spontaneously grow D. adelae...?) well the little bugger took over the whole 10" net pot the hamta was in, growing out every hole in the sides and the bottom of the pot. Even orchid fertilizer that I used on the Nep didn't bother it much! You'd think you could kill it that way... :(

It flowered nicely (red blooms) but eventually choked out the N. hamata and I ended up I reducing the hamata vines down to cuttings. If it is a D. adelae I would move it if you don't want it overtaking the pot it's in. I'm not planting mine in the vivarium cos soon all I'd have is D. adelae. It's like the dandelion of CPs!

no worries about D. adelae. i've dealt with that nightmare before! hahaha. i promise to be brutal to both U. longfolia and D. adelae (if it is)--prune heavy, save no survivors--unless if someone wants them. hahaha.

Based on looks and your description, I would go with a devil's claw seedling too (even though it's a little small).
It could be a Drosera too.... Or it could be something else. :-))

Keep us posted.

It's really blurry, can you get a better shot?

That leaf on at the top looks like a baby D. binata. I get lots of them. Keep watching the leaves, they mature quickly.

~Edit~

Wait, are you talking about the seedling with the long leaves, or the little round-leafed flat one? THAT one looks like a seedling mimulus, a native plant also called monkey flower. Did you ever get a pot of something from me? Raffle table, perhaps? I have an "infestation" of it here. If it continues to grow quickly, and forms a thick, juicy stem, watch it bloom! Then watch it take over everything. It's easy to pull, though.

The leaves are very slimy, but are not (yet!) believed to be carnivorous. I have several forms I've found when out driving. ;)

I don't think that that's any of the Queensland sisters. The way the leaves emerge in pairs... never seen that on a schizzy, prolifera, or adelae. It looks a bit like the Proboscidea I started a little too early this year.

Here some pictures of my Devil's Claw seedlings so you can compare:

P5060023.jpg

P5120021.jpg

P5220024.jpg

Back