What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I grow out of LFS and I'm not sphagnum. What am I?

This stuff always grows in my (previously-dry) LFS. Anyone know what it is?

This is the most detailed macro I could get, and every piece looks almost exactly like the one shown; most are only "one-hair" though, instead of two like this one.

It looks like grass to me too! I get all kinds of stuff sprouting out of the dry LFS. I've had clover, pine tree type plant and a ton of grass sprout out of it.

It's a grass of some sort, I suggest you pluck it out before it gets established as it'll take over. I let some grow in my N. rajah's pot and the stuff got several feet high. you can cut off all the leaves and it comes right back from the roots.

I don't have pics of liverworts or ferns germinating in LFS anymore but generally they're green blobs with white hairs when they're just getting started. I either let those grow where they are or move them to their own pots but the grass can go.

I even had hundreds of tiny white mushrooms growing out of one 10" Nep pot. Which species had those I don't remember anymore, it may have been from the LFS, mulch or from the constant fresh air being blown into the tank from outside my window which comes through a forest and meadow before it reaches my complex.

I'm always picking that out of my LFS. Don't let any grow out because it has a HUGE root system.
Buy some tweezers if you don't have any, it's hard to get at sometimes when I have small seedlings and that stuff is growing in between
them.

Figures. Plucked.

Surgical tweezers 1.
Grass 0.

Thanks for the ID. These are my first LFS pots.

Expect many, many, many more.

I think it is referred to as sedge grass.

You can put it in a seperate pot if you like. They look kindof cool IMHO. Interesting little plant (or should I say quite tall)

Yeah, I'm keeping one, too. It's really neat looking. It has hollow leaves, with occasional "walls" in the middle. I can only assume it's to keep the leaf round and to keep it from bending.

I won't be keeping any.
It choked out all my VFT's when I was away.
The pots were one big ball of roots.

Back