What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mystery Nepenthes

I saved 3 nepenthes from the local garden 5 months ago.
One small two big. (i got them free, or then the gardener would have thrown them to courtyard). Anyways the other big plant turned to be N.maxima, very pretty one.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff208/snowny-/1382.jpg

Now im having problems with identifying another when it started to make a pitcher. Theres a photo:
P21300342.jpg

Its very green with red spots/stripes and the whole plant is hairy.
At first i thought it could be N. veitchii but i think it cant have spots/stripes!
The lid has now opened and i will post a photo when the lid has fully developed :)

Any guesses?

I am notoriously bad at identifying plants, but that usually doesn't stop me from taking a swag.

I am going to guess rafflesiana.

it could be a a veitchii. I have never grown a veitchii so I'm not sure what they look like unopened. They can have striped peristomes. And pretty sure some forms have spots too.

Don't take my guess as anything other than a guess. Given my past performance, there is a 99% chance I am wrong

I see no rafflesiana in it but I do see the wings, hood and pitcher curvature that N. bicalcarata has.
My guess is a N. bicalcarata hybrid.

Edit: Here's why I think bical
IMG_2750.JPG_595.jpg

dash, i was going to say raff as well. the developing pitcher looks pretty tubby and the distance between the lid and the body of the pitcher also supports this. a fully developed pitcher would definitely help.

Thanks pals : )
Hmm. rafflesiana would be a good guess but keep in mind its hairy . I have rafflesiana withour hairs. Is bical hairy? :oops:

I forgot to mention that the 3rd plant is the same as this big. It had a pitcher couple of months ago and it looked like this:

mysterysss.png

No bical is not hairy but that trait may come from the other parent plant. Do you have a picture of an open pitcher and a picture of the peristome? A picture of the leaves would help as well.
There are several hairy Nepenthes like albomarginata, chaniana and many more.

Oooh! I love a good mystery......

I vote for raff. or raff hybrid. Ya got the new pictures up yet?

I wouldn't think you would find a bical growing that well in a nursery in finland, but I guess stranger things have happend.

You know it does look similar to N xMiranda (maximia x (maxima x northiana)) as well. I don't recall what unopened pitchers on Miranda look like either. I gave mine away a few months ago.

I see you just posted some photos. Yes, it does look like a N xMiranda that needs a little more light. But this is just a guess.

I second that. I was about to say "maxima", but a max. mix is more likely; hybrids are the most popular at local nurseries.

I'm also thinking a maxima hybrid. Won't really be able to tell till it opes, keep us posted!

I can't tell until it's open

its a maxima or fusca hybrid. see the little spur on the end of the lid? very characteristic of the maxima family. but fuzz? thats usually a fusca thing and not maxima. looking at the leaves im going to say its something along the lines of fusca x veitchii.

Alex

EDIT: looking at it more it could also be eymae x veitchii.

The fuzz is also a characteristic of the Veitchii Family as well. It could be a Maxima x Veitchii Hybrid. You'll be able to tell more if the Pitchers start to get a wide Flared Peristome. Plus Veitchii pitchers get the more tubby characteristics to them as well.

New photos! :)

Peristome is turning red. Note that it doesnt have glands under its lid. Photos are taken yesterday.

P2210005.jpg
P2210008.jpg

reminds me of x Dyeriana

i think i see a small spur there on the end of the lid in that last photo, i would go strongly with a maxima x veitchii, the indumentum is a characteristic of veitchii, and i see a strong influence in its leaf shape as well. while coloration and pattern as well as spur on lid leads to a maxima-like species (fusca, eymae, maxima).

1st pic (in the link) is maxima without a doubt. The one in reply #16 is maxima x veitchii or maxima x chaniana. I would say maxima x veitchii is more likely because I've never seen a maxima x chaniana in cultivation.

Back