What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some large form of D. capillaris?

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
Hello! I have quite a few of these and have thought about adding them to my store but have only a guess as to what it is... D. capillaris is my guess and it seems that it's larger than the D. capillaris floating around? I love how they look and they get great size! I figure if I can get a positive ID I'll be a step closer to adding them to the store... So, what say you?

Thanks! :hail:
Andrew

PS- I added this to someone's order last night (DavyJones?), hope it's liked as much as I like it! :-O

0316002035.jpg

Man dews are the tuffest to ID! You also have a VERY common looking dew! I could say it's possibly any of these:

spatulata
tokaiensis
capillaris

I'm sure there are more these are just a few off the top of my head.

I know right :p hence not trusting only my view! I'm going to glance around and see if I can find any currently in flower.... But we all know how it is to catch a Drosera flower open!
andrew

I think it's Drosera spatulata: (.. but it is a little different from the normal ..

How far does the horizontal portion of the scape extend? I'm partial to one of the South Africans like D. natalensis or the large form of D. admirabilis. D. capillaris hardly has a horizontal portion, D. spatula forms a short portion that isn't really horizontal at all. South Africans the horizontal part goes any where from about half the length of the leaves to past the leaves. D. capillaris rarely forms multiple scapes.

i thought it looked like a spatulata or a tokaiensis myself....

Looks like a spatulata.

Spatulata was my first thought....but too many look too close to tell.

As the saying goes "The Devil is in the details".

Not only do you have to look at leaf shape but:

Size and shape and number of the scapes. Is it glandular or hairy or not.
Size and shape of the sepals and petals not just the color. Number of flowers and size and shape of the capsules and calyx.
Are there hairs or glands or other structures on the undersides of the leaves. How much of the leave to they cover.
Size, shape and form of the stipules.
Size, shape and form of the seeds.
Structure of the roots.

Leaf form and color can vary significantly depeding on growing conditions, species and forms/varieties. That's why it helps to have detailed shots of all the above features. Sometimes it's a simple matter of looking at the seed shape: round vs ovoid/eliliptical vs fusiform.

Of course you could just apply the Tamlin Dawnstar rule of D. spatulata: If it looks like D. spatulata it is D. spatulata. It usually turns out to be the case.

Sometimes it is just a matter of looking at the seed. Notice how often I wave my arms and ask "What does the seed look like?" in these "ID this sundew" threads.

It's easy to distiguish D. spatulata vs natalensis vs capillaris simply from the seed:
D. spatulata
D. natalensis
D. capillaris

Thanks for the guesses and NaN for the questions! I actually don't visit that what is it posts often, since I don't claim to be good at it :) I'll try to get answers to your questions so we can move forward! I know there are lots of closed flowers, so getting some seed to look at (although I don't have a scope) may be the way to go... I could send you some? LOL Or maybe my new camera is that good. hmmmmm :-))

"D. roundandstickia"

Andrew,

Here's is a picture of a spatulata you sent me back on my first order! after all the research i could do i determined it to be spatulata...and asked around and got the same answer, so im going with it.

edit: oh and mine was wasnt kept in a greenhouse of any sort so i dont know if thats the reason mine seems darker overall than yours?

d_spatulata-pic1.JPG

~billy

Hey billy, thanks for that but it doesn't confirm that it's the plant in question... I have quite a few of these things floating around that look similar but don't get as big as this particular plant does. If it is, as far as color goes- could be that my picture was taken by cell phone too lol who knows. The one pictured at the top of the thread was actually in my Nep propagation tray. So it's not in a best lit spot of the g/h but does get decent sun.
Andrew

Back