What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N.spectabilis......or not?

Exo

Tastes like chicken!
I recently got this plant and was told it was N.spectabilis.....but I'm not so sure.

Is it a spectabilis, a hybrid, or something entirely different?

Thanks.

Nspectabillis01.jpg

Nspectabillis02.jpg

That looks sanguinea-colored, but I'm not sure about that heart-shaped opening. Spectabilis tendrils aren't attached to their leaves that way either.

Anyone else care to take a guess? ???

definitely not a straight spectabilis.. Thez is right about the heart shaped opening, specs don't have that. I'm not good enough to tell you what it is, but at least I can tell you what it's not.

definitely not a straight spectabilis and definitely not a straight sanguinea, the leaftips follow along the tendril on that plant and sanguinea has a peltate leaf tip.

One of the older dead pitcher resembles N.alata and the other looks like this one but without the "point" on the peristome and with much more red color. The plant itself also reminds me of alata.....My best guess is maybe alata x Maxima, maybe someone's homegrown attempt at hybridizing.

I'll never figure this one out....

it also slightly resembles copelandii...

I can't hold it in anymore... LOL!

I'm the gal he got the plant from.

This plant has been under alot of stress for two years; it was either not getting enough light, then it got waaaaaay too hot one summer, then some other thing pops up.... I figgered I could do better and find it a better home.

I never did get good pitchers off of it, so I was never able to identify it properly. I spent some pretty pennies on it, and it was "guaranteed" to be that species. Then again, this WAS eBay. ???

I'm also watching to see what it might really be.

It looks like my copelandii Apo. Could you get a shot showing the lid shape and how the leaf attaches to the stem of the plant?

Back