What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

unlabeled S.purp from Home Depot

thez_yo

instigator
Bought this little guy last year, posted here asking for an ID and think it is a S.purp venosa, and it's flowering already so here's the flower to make sure:

P4120024.jpg

P4120025.jpg

Still think it's a purp venosa?

Show a picture of the whole plant. venosa is more full looking than purpurea.

ive got two different HD or Lowes purps(forget which store.)....defiantly two different varieties.....one is lime green and the other turns maroon under T8 bulbs sitting side by side......

jimscott: Don't think I can on account of it looking pretty ratty because it hasn't opened up this year's pitchers yet and last year's have their hoods crispy, brown and crumbled. You can kind-of see the best looking pitcher from last year in the background there with a brown hood.

rattler: hmmm....

Looks like S.purpurea ssp. venosa to me, note the tubby pitchers in the background!

I would go out on a limb here and say that it looks like you got var. burkei here based on the flower - which looks a lot like my own var. burkei.

that would be awful cool :)

i have to agree that it looks like a burkii aka S. rosea judging by the petal coloration.....

I was going to say the petals look a little too dark red unlike S.rosea, but they might just be extra dark because of the strong sunshine here, because it is white/green on the bottom like a S.rosea flower. The flower stalk is really short and the petals are almost touching the soil. The lip is also pretty big. I have a pitcher that's currently growing up and might open in the next week so I can post a pic of that when it does..

Or does anyone have purp purp, purp venosa, and purp burkeii pitchers and flowers pics to put side by side in general? I'm really fuzzy on telling these little guys apart...I don't think I saw a picture thread in the Sarrs section on the forum and it would be really useful...guess I'm going to spend a couple hours on the cp photo finder...

Purp purp venosa:

apr2010-flower010.jpg

Rosea:

mar2010-sarraflower03.jpg

S.purpurea ssp. venosa....

purpurea.jpg

Thanks for the pics!!!!!

I guess it must be a rosea....yay! So now I have a plain-old run of the mill rosea and a rosea luteolata :-D

update pics - this pitcher has been opening for the past week:

Newest hood/lip-
P4170018.jpg

Newest pitcher-
P4170019.jpg

Whole plant:
P4170020.jpg

(yes those are small S.minors on the left in back - they are blooming even though the ones on the right in back are 2X as tall)

Hmmm, is it just me or have the petals darkened to the point of imitating S. purp venosa?

Either way, that's a very nice pitcher!

I dunno ???

People told me it was a venosa last year and now they're saying rosea. Maybe it's some mutt? Here's some more pics of the flower:

P4180027.jpg

P4180028.jpg

Looks like Venosa to me.

Thanks for the pics!!!!!

I guess it must be a rosea....yay! So now I have a plain-old run of the mill rosea and a rosea luteolata :-D

wellllll...maybe you do, but you cant be certain..if you arent 100% sure, you shouldnt give it the label of S. rosea.

Hmmm, is it just me or have the petals darkened to the point of imitating S. purp venosa?

Either way, that's a very nice pitcher!

I dunno ???

People told me it was a venosa last year and now they're saying rosea. Maybe it's some mutt? Here's some more pics of the flower:

and thats why! ;)
because its uncertain..
so please dont actually label it a S. rosea..because years from now you might forget you werent sure, then trade a cutting of it with someone lese..and THEY might trade it..and eventually you have a bunch of S. roseas's in collections that are not actually S. rosea..

this is why you cant "guess" and label plants..if its unknown to begin with, it should always officially remain an "unknown" in your collection..

Scot

scot: yup, and that's why it'll always carry the label "Home Depot".

Back