What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

drosera x nagamotoi ??

Hello everyone! you think they might be sundew x nagamotoi ?

That leaf shape looks just like a D. spatulata.

That leaf shape looks just like a D. spatulata.

mmmm .. No I do not think, I have a lot of Drosera spatula and I assure you that this is very different:
stem flower buds have a yellow color almost ..
This winter has entered a sort of hibernation, producing small leaves and little sticky ..
the person from whom I had taken had said that it could be an x nagamotoi ..

Just for comparison's sake, here is a picture from my collection:

Picture077-1.jpg

I'm far from being an expert of ID'ing these plants and my usual disclaimer is to say that they are all D. roundandstickia, which a phrase originated by Tamlin Dawnstar.

I'd agree that this is not D. x nagamotoi.
Here are pic of my D. x nagamatoi (also informally called D. x 'Watari'):
x_watari.JPG

x_watari_clump.JPG

Here's a link to some more photos: http://www.cpphotofinder.com/drosera-x-nagamotoi-3420.html

As for the actual id of this plant, I'd have to guess it is some form of D. spatulata or D. tokaiensis. (There are numerous different forms that have different appearances, so just because it doesn't look like other forms you have doesn't mean that it can't be ruled out.
The flowerstalk is very characteristic of Spatulata or D. tokaiensis as well. Pictures of an open flower would help too. D. tokaiensis is a cross between D. rotundifolia and D. spatulata, so that could explain why it is sort of going dormant.

D. spatulata (in very bright light):
DSC06598.jpg

Younger D. tokaiensis plants (D. spatulata x D. rotundifolia):
Tokaiensis_red.JPG

Tokaiensis_crop_overhead-1.JPG

Hope this helps more than confuses, but this can be tricky business sometimes.

CPlantaholic maybe you're right, what I have seem more of D. tokaiensis (x rotundifolia spatula) ... I wait until the flowers open and then will post more pictures:)

Back