What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sundew ID

I know there is a sundew place for me to post this, but the General section gets viewed more often and I really need help with this.

I bought a tray of sundews from a popular wholesale/tissue culture place and I don't think they are true to type. I think what I got was a hybrid. They guarantee their plants to be what they are supposed to be, but what it comes down to is my word against theirs. So I am putting the pics of the plant in question here for you guys to tell me what you think it is. It did not look like the last tray of the plant that I bought, and I have already refunded 3 customers who bought the plant from me and said I sent them the wrong plant. So now I am asking for a refund from the place who sold it to me. If you guys think this is a true species I will withdraw my claim with this company, but I've had 3 customers unhappy with these plants and I do agree that they don't look like the last tray I got.

So here's the pics, you guys tell me what plant this is please.
IMG_0208.jpg

adelaecross.jpg

And to help my cause (if there is any debate with the company on this issue) when you tell me what you think it is, please also tell me if you are absolutely sure or just guessing, and how much of an "expert" you consider yourself to be when it comes to sundews. I focus mainly on neps and sars, and don't feel as confident of my ID with dews or worts as I would with them, so I hope someone or more than one person who is very knowledgeable of sundews can help me out here. If this is a true plant you should have no trouble telling me what it is, because it should be recognizable easily, right?

They look more like D. adelae to me than anything else, but honestly, they could be a lot of different things.
It's just hard to tell due to their current green foliage and young growth.

Here's a quick example- If you give them more light or less food (bugs speed up growth so that the light isn't able to keep up with new growth) then they will become more defined in shape, and it will be easier to determine.

For example, just compare this plant that was catching a lot of food outdoors:
DSC06227-1.jpg

to this (not fed for 2 months):
DSC06598.jpg

(they are the same plant)

D. adelae (young) was also my first thought.

Aaron (CPlantaholic) knows his dews and don't s!
if it is important, he is worth a call/PM.

(No, I don't owe him any money!)

Moved! :p

lol Paul. that's a sundew pun I hadn't heard before! nice :)

As I said in the first post, there was a reason why I put this thread in the section that I did. I didn't want it posted here. Thanks a lot for completely ignoring my request.... oh, and deleting another thread that I had started for no apparent reason. Shouldn't you at least send a pm stating the reasons for messing with people's threads? There's way too much moderating going on here lately.

Being mean to mods isn't going to get you anywhere!

back2eight- from what I've seen, the only people who actually respond to identification requests (regardless of where they're posted) are the people who check the Identify that Plant! section on a regular basis.

First off the plants are much too young for all but a true expert who has had many many years experience growing and studying many species to identify at this stage. While there are members who have published many works and have spent many years studying Drosera they rarely frequent this site. You'd probably get a better response on the CPUK forums.

Secondly, if you purchased them from AG3 than they have recommended "finishing times" that you grow the plants in recommended conditions before selling/reselling them. For Drosera usually 4-6 weeks for 3" pots and 8-10 weeks for 4" pots.

Thirdly picking fights with the moderators is not likely to get you very far since you are treading on the ground of advertising that you sell carnivorous plants from probably one of the very same wholesalers that Andrew purchases from.

If one looked at the situation with a little compassion, I believe they would realize that no one is "picking fights with the moderators". I think it is more a situation of expressing frustration from being in an awkward position, and being reminded of the unusual situation they are actually in here. :crap:

Indeed, even bringing up AG... is in violation of: "we do not allow the discussing of "other" CP vendors" if you want to point fingers. :nono: Fortunately it seems that tolerance is given unless it gets "out of hand", as this would be a rather unsavory sterile environment if the rules that were created were followed to the letter, with zero tolerance. :poke:

For people who share a common interest of loving the same expression of life and nature (CP's), it is amazing to me just how little tolerance and care people show here for one another. :lac:

It was thoughtful of you to point out exactly, all the wrong things she was doing, for all to see however. Now she can hopefully feel horribly guilty and we can all look down on her! :glare:

In reality, I personally think one reminder for her was enough, and to let it go at that. :-(

Back