What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dionaea Characteristics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmy

BANNED
Many people have asked, what VFT is this? Well I can solve that easily for you. Look at the color, cilia shape, and even trap shape.

Long teeth: If the Dionaea has long teeth then it shall be classified in the typical group (note some Dionaea can be in more than one group such as 'Akai Ryu').

Short teeth: If the Dionaea has short teeth or minute teeth then it should be classified in the Dentate Traps group such as 'Red Piranha' or 'Sawtooth'.

Red: If the dionaea has alot of red coloration then it should be classified in the Red group, such as 'Akai Ryu'.

Mutant: If the Dionaea looks odd in a way (such as cupped traps or teeth fused together in multiple clumps) then you should classify it in the Mutant group.

*But remember! Make sure these characteristics are on every traps, but even sometime it might not be stable such as "Pom Pom"

you forgot the groups with fused petioles.....

Lol this doesnt prove anything timmy, if a plant is unknown it should be left as such unless you can verify from the place you got the plant.

you forgot the groups with fused petioles.....

Lol this doesnt prove anything timmy, if a plant is unknown it should be left as such unless you can verify from the place you got the plant.

Did you read

Mutant: If the Dionaea looks rather odd in a way

LOL technically all forms of dionaea cultivars are "mutants"

environment factors are important also. A red might not look red depending on the conditions that it is being grown under....

That certainly does simplify it. Here I bought that B52 for nothing, it was actually just a VFT Long tooth. Dang!

Don't take offense, I am only kidding with you.

1264910896244.jpg

Is it me,
or is anyone else experiencing Déjà vu ? :crazy:
Didn't I just see this?
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122545

In all fairness, I know there is sometimes a question of what category to post in...
But I don't believe that is the case here.

Many people have asked, what VFT is this?

They did? I guess I didn't notice a lot of people asking! I would think they would know when they bought it!

Definition of the day: Attention seeking (From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Enjoying the attention of others is quite socially acceptable. In some instances, however, the need for attention can lead to difficulties.
The term "attention seeking" is generally reserved for such situations, where excessive and “inappropriate attention seeking” is seen.

I believe this term came to my mind, in view of the responses I see posted.

Oh yea... There certainly seems to be a lot more pressure to be wise, knowledgeable and an experienced expert grower, than there was when I was younger.
Back then, one was accepted and treated pretty much like an equal, simply because they shared in common interests. Oh how I am glad I grew up back when I did!

Last edited:
Hmmm, let's see... the birthdays feature says Timmy is 14 years old today (Happy Birthday Timmy).

Maybe when he's growing old he won't seek as much attention. But then it seems some people growing old seek attention too.

As far as a classification system goes it may not be very complex but it does what it should do.

Last edited:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/x3dpkcOPwZk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/x3dpkcOPwZk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Look what I can do...

Last edited:
#1. French, You crack me up! :-))

#2. "it seems some people growing old seek attention too." I couldn't agree more! Ironic to mention it however!

Oh, was that implying me? :slap: Oh, ouch! (That whole "growing old" reference was so cute! And so carefully prepared by mentioning birthdays and such to introduce it!)
:clap: Such a cunning handling of things! Wow!

Well, I do have over 250 posts, compared to less than a hundred, so I can't deny that! I guess the numbers say it all, don't they!
Ironic tho! Very ironic!

3450!

What cultivar do I have if my VFT produces pitchers?

OMG, Yann... That was just hilarious. Wow. LOL :0o:

Let's avoid double posting the exact same thread in multiple places as it creates confusion and I would think we would want all information consolidated in one thread. This information is better left in the Venus Flytrap (Dionaea ) Care Information & Tips forum as the Identify That Plant forum is for identifying specific plants.

xvart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back