What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes mysteriensis

Lil Stinkpot

Lucky Greenhorn
I got this as a TLC plant online, and it's the first of five to pitcher. The other four are still recovering.

Unfortunately, it's impossible to get the plants in the right spot unless I know what they are.

Here it is. All red!

134.jpg

136.jpg

143.jpg

Could it be possible that there's some Sanguinea in there? the pitcher's shape reminds me a bit of mine... but then again, I'm a nep noob, what do i know.

looks like a red burbie to me.

the reason why i think it's burbidgeae, is because of

1) the "candy stripped" permistone (maxima to my knowledge does not have this characteristic until it reaches the upper pitchers),

2) maxima usually has creases in it's permistone but this plant doesnt,

3) burbidgeae has red leaves in good light, and they have a little fuzz on the edges. and

4) the leaf "rolls" up near the base of the stem. my burbidgeae does that. it's been too long since i've had a maxima in my possession so i cant say that it doesnt have that characteristic.

that being said, there could be a little tobaica in there somewhere as well since the pitchers resemble it.

the reason why i think it's burbidgeae, is because of

1) the "candy stripped" permistone (maxima to my knowledge does not have this characteristic until it reaches the upper pitchers),

2) maxima usually has creases in it's permistone but this plant doesnt,

3) burbidgeae has red leaves in good light, and they have a little fuzz on the edges. and

4) the leaf "rolls" up near the base of the stem. my burbidgeae does that. it's been too long since i've had a maxima in my possession so i cant say that it doesnt have that characteristic.

that being said, there could be a little tobaica in there somewhere as well since the pitchers resemble it.

Counterargument time:

1. A whole bunch of maxima hybrids have this trait.
2. I've seen lots of maximas that don't (such as the ones from Irian Jaya)

nmaximairianjaya2.jpg

Pic borrowed from Joel's NATH Website (also shows striping)

3. Most Neps have red leaves in high light, anyways. :p
4. Maxima leaves are also "folded" (IIRC, the term is petiolate :))

But I do see what you're saying and it is likely it could be a burbidg.

EDIT: I'm wrong. It doesn't have an appendage, something I've always seen present on maximas in any part of the range. :blush:

Last edited:
my feeling is that it is a young N. burbidgeae, not only due to leaf color and the look of the pitcher, but the leaf shape and attachment, also the slight signs of indumentum on the plant, attachment, and the tendril which i see in my burb, its hard to really say without a more mature lower, but id lean strongly on the burb side

clue, the leaf attachment to the main stem is not typical for what would be N. maxima, i strongly believe we are looking at a young burb here.

welp...that's that. hahaha. i give up.

you may be right christopher, but i would also argue that maxima based on what you showed me has a red/maroon color based permistone with green stripping, whereas katie's plant has red stripping on a green based permistone (which burbidgeae has). also the pitchers are much lighter in coloration.

but then again. what do i know? :p

EDIT

hahah Kris sided with me! hahah I WEEN!

Lol i could be wrong but the leaves and young pitchers are a dead ringer with my burbidgeae of a similar size when it was pitchering, hopefully it will be back into the swing of it shortly, it stopped growth for awhile for some reason but is now back into the swing of it.

I think it is a burbidgeae x maxima............and yes people, this does exist. ;)

various pics of my burb for reference......
IMG_0973.jpg

IMG_0878.jpg

IMG_0879.jpg

Oh, good heavens!

I looked up N. burbidgeae in the photo finder. :0o:

Just how likely is it that I got a burb. from a "we lost the tags, dunno what they are and they ain't pitchering" sale? 'Cause that's where I got the plant.

Oh, please, oh, please, oh, please! :boogie:

BTW, Rattler, that's a dead ringer. Mine's a bit stockier, but not by much.

About the red, it's in a basket with three other neps. It's the only one that turned such a lovely shade.

i have no clue......just knew i had a burb bout the same size as your plant so i would post the pics for everyone to compare.....

Back