What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bladderwort? Not sure.

pappydew

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me.
I'm wondering if any of you can help me ID what this is...it's not mine (yet) so I can't post any more pics. Hopefully this will be enough for all you experts out there. All I know is that it hitchhiked on a bunch of amazon swords (Echinodorus).

bladderwort.jpg

Thanks!

It's an Utricularia. I can see the little bladders. However, we can't tell the species until it flowers or grows larger.

That's what I thought. I'm under the assumption that it is U. gibba just because it is a common hitchhiker but until it flowers I guess I'm still in the dark then...

Did the sword plants come from World of Fish in Richfield?

I got U. gibba in an aquatic plant purchase there more than 15 years ago and it was the bane of my existence! At first I thought it was some rare kind of aquatic moss so I tied it to a branch in the tank but then instead of creeping like java moss it just grew all these strings all over knotting up my plants. I'd pull out handfuls of it and each tiny broken piece started a new infestation somewhere else in the tank. I posted pics on aquarium plant boards and nobody knew what this god awful string algae was. I finally ripped apart my 75 gallon planted tank and started it over, a few years later I bought the Savage Garden book and there was a picture of that "string algae": Utricularia gibba... Now of course - I can't keep the stuff alive! LOL

No its from someone on another forum so I dont know where exactly they came from.

I'm going back and forth between whether to get some for my 20 gallon but I'd rather not have it take over the tank LOL.

U gibba really is a weed, so that might be it. However, I am not a utric expert.

AFAIK, gibba doesn't make little side branches without bladders (see those little three-branched leafy-things?) ... it reminds me of my inflata.

Hmm, so it isn't gibba. Good to know, thanks!

Back