What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utric ? Fern ? Something Else

Hey Everyone

This started growing with my N Lowii a couple of months ago. At first I plucked it out, but then decided to let it grow a bit. Right now it is about two inches tall. I thought it might be a terrestrial utric any thoughts ?

No flowers as of yet

IMG_2413.jpg

IMG_2414.jpg

Thanks

Fern, possibly a young Polypodium - they're quite common germinating from LFS & on cork mounts. The white fur at the base of the stems is the indicator of it being a newly emerging fern.

I'd pot it up in it's own LFS so it doesn't shade your Nep, ferns grow pretty fast compared to them and most Polypodiums get really big pinnate leaves. Wiki: Polypodium Ferns

Last edited:
The orchid greenhouse I volunteer at has an infestation of these, is the rhizome white and hairy/fuzzy?
The rhizomes are near impossible to rip out entirely and break off easily resulting in multiple new sprouts... Once it takes hold it really takes off, get it out while you can.

Awesome fern :D
I havent gotten that one yet.

I get ferns, but never one's like THAT! :-O

.......Where did you get the LFS it grew in?.....what brand?

This one is young, it will get much larger likely with more typical fern shaped leaves as it ages.

sounds like you can send it to exo or tali if you want to get rid of it lol.

Thanks everyone ... I pretty much thought it was a fern, but was unsure.

The N. Lowii was from *, it is likely a hitchhiker from them

That being said, I am not a fern grower, though I might consider this one if it a) stayed small, b) kept the leaves it has now (they are rather pretty). That being said, if anyone is interested in a trade PM me. I am pretty open to anything CP, though not so much utrics and common Sarrs and I have more rotudifolia, intermedia and filiformis than I know what to do with. It's a fern so I am not expecting an Adrian Slack in exchange, so tell me what you are willing to offer.

If trading doesn't work out and you have to have it, I would also be willing to give it away for shipping.

It's all good.

I suppose that I should put this up in the trading post area, but since you guys have been so helpful, I thought I would give you first shot.

Thanks
Nicole

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is a poly whatever it will eventually strangle the roots of the nepenthes it is growing with

Back