What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

which drosera is this?

thez_yo

instigator
It came out of nowhere...help?

PB120017.jpg

leaning towards D. tokaiensis......

Or more of that pesky D. venusta/natalensis...

It's just so strange considering I've never had any of those dews, and that sphag didn't have that plant growing there for a good 8 months after I potted up the cobra in that pot XD How do I find out for sure ... get it to bloom maybe?

My first thoughts were brevifolia or capillaris... but certainly not a Petiolaris Complex!

Lots of luck with the polymorphic species like D. natalensis, D. spatulata and D. capillaris. Flower and seed will definitely help or at least tell you what it is not.

You kind of have to use deductive guesswork. What flowered near the pot in the last two years. Where did the sphagnum come from. What did you put in the pot and who did it come from and what did they have that might have flowered recently near the plant in question.

Like I get a tiny clump of D. capillaris from Jimscott with just a pinch of long fiber sphagnum. Four months later there is a D. burmannii sprouting at the edge of the pot, nowhere near the D. capillaris clump or pinch of sphagnum the clump was in. Not in my collection before hand. I could understand it sprouting near the clump but at the edge of the pot? Of course now it's all over the place even though the D. capillaris died out.

Maybe the Drosera faerie do'od it.

Like I get a tiny clump of D. capillaris from Jimscott with just a pinch of long fiber sphagnum. Four months later there is a D. burmannii sprouting at the edge of the pot, nowhere near the D. capillaris clump or pinch of sphagnum the clump was in. Not in my collection before hand. I could understand it sprouting near the clump but at the edge of the pot? Of course now it's all over the place even though the D. capillaris died out.

I have been having a rough time getting D. burmannii seeds to germinate, intentionally. But over the summer I was getting them popping up outside, on the porch, with the Sarracenias. Same with the 'Long Arms" that Warren sent me a couple years ago. Then there's the P. lusitanica that pop up in the Sarracenia buckets and what I think might be D. intermedia in the U. tricolor / Genlisea pots that came from Mach..... Yeah, weird stuff pops up in odd places.!

100_8505.jpg

100_8507.jpg

Back