What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Utricularia/Droseras

Hi everyone, first post here. I've had two Sarracenia for a couple months now, and I've noticed the other interesting carnivorous plants growing as weeds in their containers. One of them already had some bladderworts growing in the substrate when I got them, but I'm having trouble finding which species it is. The flowers are predominantly white with yellow and purple coloration. The leaves are maybe 5 mm long, 1 mm wide, and grow opposite one another, flat against the substrate.

I also noticed some seedling sundews popping up... Three of them are D. binata, I believe, because they seem to have a couple long, forked leaves. But there is another one that looks different from the rest - it has many smaller leaves that are more disc-shaped at the end. Any chance of being able to tell which species this might be?

All these plants are kept outdoors and should be going dormant soon, because nighttime temperatures have been dipping into the upper 20s at night for the past week or so. The pitchers on the Sarracenia are just now starting to die back. Thanks in advance for any help!

oac9ip.jpg

1zzhyes.jpg

ng6clg.jpg

U. bisquamata and D. binata

Thanks for the quick reply. :)

EDIT: Replies, haha.

Incredibly, I also came up with U. bisquamata D. binata as well. For comparison sake:

100_8505.jpg

Picture006-21.jpg

That Utric looks like an U,arenarie which is a relative to U bisquanata
MHO

That Utric looks like an U,arenarie which is a relative to U bisquanata
MHO
Like this one?

DSC_00010001_3.jpg

Dunno. spur on that one was much longer than i would have expected from bisqumata. But it is one that grows readily from seeds and popped up for me as a volunteer

One way of telling Utricularia arnaria is from it's fertile seed pods...I don't recall my U. bisquamata forming these without assist. It may be the smaller form of U. bisquamata, but I have also seen U. arnaria with similar coloration.

Hi,

the last picture looks very much like U. arenaria to me. I don't think, it is a bisquamata.

Btw, most, almost all of my U. bisquamata set seed readily, only the form from Betty's Bay (which is the nicest in my opinion) needs manual pollination.

Christian

Back