What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia quelchii or U. tricolor?

glider14

Always a newbie
got htis plant in a trade several months ago... dont remember who with. it was traded to me as U. quelchii... just a really young plant. well here it is. a bit more grown up. what do you all think?

Alex

EDIT: and no... they arent light starved.

My guess is U. tricolor.

Last edited by a moderator:
U. tricolor.
this is U. quelchii:
DSCN3665.jpg

well thats a damn shame. thanks guys.

Alex

Yeah, obtaining U. quelchii from anyone in the US is pretty much an impossibility unless it's from a handful of folks - definitely forget anyone on Ebay selling it, no matter what they tell you. Those sellers have been on this forum trying to defend their U. tricolor they've sold to us all as U. quelchii. One Ebayer is often seen selling U. tricolor for $40 because it's labeled erroneously as U. quelchii!

Yeah, obtaining U. quelchii from anyone in the US is pretty much an impossibility unless it's from a handful of folks ...
I suspect there are more lurkers around who are growing it than we know (& no, I don't know this for a fact but I keep finding lurkers growing other CP's...) .

Glider - It sounds like you haven't heard of our tribulations with U. tricolor being passed off as U. quelchii. For a laugh - here.

One of the erroneous "U. quelchii" sellers is now selling the desirable "U. geminiloba" but the photo in the ad looks similar gliders pics above so BE CAREFUL it probably isn't what it's being sold as - I mean there is a possibility but I'm certainly not willing to place a $40 bet on another clump of U. tricolor. :(

One of the erroneous "U. quelchii" sellers is now selling the desirable "U. geminiloba" but the photo in the ad looks similar gliders pics above so BE CAREFUL it probably isn't what it's being sold as - I mean there is a possibility but I'm certainly not willing to place a $40 bet on another clump of U. tricolor. :(

From the bad photo up it "may" be the real thing, its very hard to tell given the photo. The leaf on the right side with the damaged pot rail is the correct shape. Why post a listing for $40 and then put up such a bad pic...

@rss: that's not the problem. i bought U. quelchii from the same guy who said he had 2 divisions for sale. his pic had two CORRECT U. quelchii divisions. i assumed that when i got this plant i would be getting one of the divisions from the photo. i didnt. i got U. tricolor. so even if he was selling for U. geminiloba, he could always send something different out instead. i'd rather much obtain my U. geminiloba from people that i trust---like yourself ;) and no, i'm not asking--just pointing out a hypothetical situation.

I suspect there are more lurkers around who are growing it than we know (& no, I don't know this for a fact but I keep finding lurkers growing other CP's...) .

Glider - It sounds like you haven't heard of our tribulations with U. tricolor being passed off as U. quelchii. For a laugh - here.

yea... i havent been around much lately. that thread is very interesting. on a side note...is "DD" Mr. Darnowski? thats where these "U. quelchii" are coming from? or did i read that incorrectly? i met with him 5 years ago or so.

thanks for all the info guys. i guess its just a waiting game now.

Alex

EDIT: tracked down where i got this from. it was traded to me from a member here who got it from another member who is a member of the BACPS... i know several of you guys out there are part of the BACPS. anyone trade out a U. quelchii to someone in the past year or so?

yes, DD is Darnowski, Darnowski obtained his "U. quelchii" from the guy who I got my "U. quelchii" from, Michael Drabinsky who is also a member from BACPS, who got his from Tony Gridley and Lois. Lois obtained her U. quelchii from another member---the portion given to her is legitimate--however, some sort of contamination occurred and her bowl was plagued with U. tricolor (i have seen her growing bowl personally). Michael has showed me photos of his grow space and claims that no U. tricolor grows in his grow room, and he (from the photos) does have real U. quelchii growing in his grow room. It could be possible that the batch of "U. quelchii" given to many individuals may have originated from from Lois's contaminated lot---that being said, it is very likely that anybody who obtained their "U. quelchii" from BACPS as a source has ended up with U. tricolor. This is not to say that nobody in BACPS has U. quelchii---there are members that definitely have the plant and have proven it by their flowers.

hahaha. nobody should know the story better than me. i started the fire. :lol:

Back