What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this N. Ventricosa 'Porcelain Form'?

2010-12-16B.jpg

its a little deformed but its possible.....

The color looks right, but the shape is wrong. Porcelain usually has a much wider peristome.

here's mine for comparison, not the best but it does show you what brokken's talking about:
DSCN3629.jpg

amph, is that porcelain or one of the EP clones?

from what im told it is 'porcelain' and im pretty sure it is also. it behaves like one as well. it was pouting during the summer months, refusing to pitcher.

Whatever it is it is a very beautiful nep. Thanks for sharing pics!

A little thread necromancy, Red? :D

Yeah just a bit, couldn't help myself:-O

Do you know the source of yours? I believe the porcelain form originates from Longwood Gardens of Pennsylvania and it should maintain a flat peristome. The body should also be unmistakably leathery, similar to lowii. There are some plants in the states labeled "porcelain" but they look nothing like this, so I'm not sure how that happened.

Mine came from EP, it's their (c) clone. So if it's placed in a sunny position, the interior darkens up quite a bit and the exterior becomes a creamy colour. There is also the (d) clone, which unlike (c) remains quite pale as it ages. These as far as I understand were sourced a long time ago 20 years + from wild cuttings. I've read that other "porcelain" forms or "alba" forms as they have come to be known, also came from Kew & Malestiana Tropicals.

Also both (c) and (d) are females and I can't speak for (d) as I don't own the clone, but like you say (c) is as woody as lowii pitchers, especially as they age.

Ah, see, that's where the confusion arises. Those EP clones are simply what their letters say they are, but shouldn't be labelled "porcelain" (I have both (c) and (d) and they don't look like it). I remember Geoff Mansell referring to one of his clones as "porcelain" in some thread, but he was incorrect. The alba form in Europe is an altogether different plant, too. What I'm getting at is this plant should be treated like a cultivar. Either Dave Evans or Richard Siversten named a specific plant in cultivation 'porcelain,' in order to denote that particular plant was unique.

Ah, see, that's where the confusion arises. Those EP clones are simply what their letters say they are, but shouldn't be labelled "porcelain" (I have both (c) and (d) and they don't look like it). I remember Geoff Mansell referring to one of his clones as "porcelain" in some thread, but he was incorrect. The alba form in Europe is an altogether different plant, too. What I'm getting at is this plant should be treated like a cultivar. Either Dave Evans or Richard Siversten named a specific plant in cultivation 'porcelain,' in order to denote that particular plant was unique.

Yeah i see what you mean, I called it "porcelain" because as you say a higher authority referred to it as such. From what I understood, the term porcelain was simply to seperate it from other softer-body clones of ventricosa. I've seen and touched quite a few clones of ventricosa that came from BE, EP, Malesiana and only (c) had the woody body. Ultimately I think there's no more than 4/5 clones of these woody pitchering ventricosa in cultivation, they're unique and i think the "porcelain" term used to distinguish them might be sticking around for a while, but i'll start referring to mine as (c).

Back