What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NEP ID / What Say You

Still trying to get a positive ID on this one
One of my I have no idea where I got the cutting from plants

The last time I tried getting an ID on it about
85% Said ~ N. ventricosa x burkei
15% Said ~ Straight N. ventricosa

But it doesn't look like any of my Vents {Size / Color / Shape} & I can't recall ever trading for any N. ventricosa cuttings since I already have my shares worth

The main reason I'm trying to find out is that I have rooted cuttings & would like to be 100% sure before offering any / Would hate to offer something with the wrong ID

Your input would be much appreciated

1-24-11

More Pics / Whole Plant ~ http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/577501944fAsfCr

10-8-10

Thanx
DC

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, it could just be a N. x ventrata. Most seem to have the N. alata peristome, but it appears that if it is a cross, then it picked up the alleles for the peristome from N. ventricosa. Maybe even a cross between N. ventricosa and N. khasiana (Is it really weather hardy?).

Edit: This pic indicates some of the variety of N. x ventrata, which shows that is may be what you have:
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/Leilani_10/DSCF0053-6.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/Leilani_10/DSCF0049_1.jpg

Right now I say you have N. x ventrata.

That looks nothing like N. x ventrata imho.

This looks like N. burkei.

That would be my guess, but it could be some sort of hybrid between N. burkei and N. ventricosa too. Maybe even some pale form of N. ventricosa.

(Note: I am horrible at ID'ing plants).

It's a N. ventricosa, I can see where some would say it looks like N. burkei or N. ventricosa x burkei but to me, looks very similar to my N. ventricosa "denver" clone... I'll dig up a link for you when I get home. Where did you get the plant?
It's definitely no N. x ventrata ...

N. burkei x ventricosa....or "burkie" or N. ventricosa "denver clone" depending on who's selling it to you. ;)

Well I know it's definitely not a N. x ventrata / That's for sure

Not sure where/Who I got it from
Guess I used the wrong kind of marker & the writing washed off the tag / LOL
I thought it was a cutting I had got from a buddy till it started to pitcher

My only other thought is it could be that someone sent me something other than what they said it was???
I know I never "Knowingly" bought or traded for a Ventricosa

Really can't find a good pics of a N. Ventricosa x burkei to go by & a lot of the pics I've seen of straight N. burkei look like Ventricosa to me???

Could only find one thread with pics of a Ventricosa Denver Clone & I can see that being a possibility

I know it doesn't look like any of my other Ventricosa so I know it's not a cutting from one of my plants

Here's a pic of what the whole plant looks like now if that helps at all / All that is basal growth

Thanx For The Input / Appreciate It
DC

[Edit: Please reserve unintelligible plant name abbreviations for personal communications. The threads in this forum build a database of information. Help future forum members find the information in your posts by avoiding the use of unofficial abbreviations for plant names. More than one Nepenthes name begins with "vent". Which one are you referring to in your post? ]

Fixed / Sorry

Last edited:
Looks like N. ventricosa to me. ??? Perhaps just a particularly robust clone.

Looks like N. ventricosa to me. ??? Perhaps just a particularly robust clone.

Could be
Just never had one that made pitchers that fat or tall {In to the 6 1/2 to 7in. range}
??? IDK ???

My vote is with N. ventricosa. But in this situation, though, it may be best to keep it labeled "unknown", or "N. ventricosa x burkei??" or something similar. It seems like it will be hard, if not impossible, to say exactly what it is with complete certainty. Anyway, it's a very nice-looking plant!

This picture of N. burkei also closely looks like what you have: http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt156/misos7/IMG_1392-1.jpg

I was throwing N. x ventrata out there because some forms do look like what you have, particularly what I posted. Though after looking at the photos of N. burkei, it seems to be closer to what you have. Definitely not a solid N. ventricosa, though.

Edit:
Also, what about N. 'Jungle Bells' (ventricosa x sibuyanenis)
http://www.exoticaplants.com.au/admin/uploads/jungbelpit.jpg

Could be
Just never had one that made pitchers that fat or tall {In to the 6 1/2 to 7in. range}
??? IDK ???

that right there makes me think N. ventricosa "denver" because it is known for getting larger than normal pitchers....

N. ventricosa "denver" is female too...

im gonna say it's a N. burkei, or a N. ventricosa x burkei. one way to tell N. ventricosa apart from any other species is the complete absence of wings....seedlings have wings, but lose them...i doubt what you have is a seedling.

N. ventricosa:
N.Ventricosa%20copy.gif
ane-nepenthes-ventricosa-01212.jpg
P1200578.JPG

N. burkei has highly reduced wings, but they are there:
s6000372yl0.jpg
burkei1.jpg
IMG_1989-1.jpg

and for the heck of it N. sibuyanensis:
sibuyanensis.jpg

I feel like we're back at N. ventricosa x burkei. The pitcher appears to have the coloration of N. burkei, as well as one of the pitcher pictures showed on to be somewhat squat, without the pinch of the waist that is typically seen in N. ventricosa. As well, the slight wings on the top seem like N. burkei, but it has the flat peristome of N. ventricosa.

Well I think Amphirion settled it with the wing thing

I did think that the N. ventricosa Denver Clone was a good possibility
http://pitcherplants.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=9556
If it wasn't a N. ventricosa x burkei {or N. burkei x ventricosa}
But after going back & looking at the pics again No Wings / That I can see

Thanx Guys I Seriously Do Appreciate The Input
DC

^^^Wings^^^

11-25-10

Although some don't totally have "Wings" there is still somewhat of a small ridge? / It's not totally smooth
Close Ups Of The One I Posted Earlier

1-24-1

And a few pitchers in different stages on the plant that I just took / 1-24-10

Thanx Again

But take into account that there are very few of the true N. burkei out there....
most are just N. ventricosa or N. ventricosa hybrids
having a couple of small wings really doesn't prove much of anything, as N. ventricosa is highly variable and i have seen them with wings...
it all varies from clone to clone, and everyones set of conditions...
it very well may be "N. ventricosa x burkei" but i definitely see a severe lack N. burkei characteristics to call it the species.

i dunno Kris, Mitch Davis's N. ventricosa "Denver" appears to be absent of wings as well...and i havent seen species ventricosa with wings except when seedlings or very young. regardless, i believe the plant in question is one of hybrid origin and not a true species.

just like in the case of N. burkei, there can be many individual "N. ventricosa" that are in reality N. ventricosa x (x ventrata), or N. ventricosa x (ventricosa x (x ventrata) so on and so forth... N. ventricosa, N. x ventrata and N. alata have been in cultivation for so long, it should be expected that we should have many backcrosses of these species. and what's to say we don't have a N. burkei x (ventricosa x (x ventrata) as well? or even a [Edit: Since N. x ventrata is a nothospecies its name is written with an "x", so the following species formula is not correct -->] N. burkei x (ventricosa x (x ventrata) x (ventricosa x (x ventrata)? bagh....

genetic sequencing for verification anyone? lol

The main reason I'm trying to find out is that I have rooted cuttings & would like to be 100% sure before offering any / Would hate to offer something with the wrong ID.
Without knowing the history of the plant with any certainty, you can't be 100% certain about it's parentage (imho). When trading, include a link to this thread...

Guess I used the wrong kind of marker & the writing washed off the tag / LOL
Brother P-touch labels seem to last forever in all conditions - worth the investment.

Back