What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Sarracenia from Lowe's

Anyone have any idea what kind of Sarracenia this is? I got it from Lowe's last year and of course i put it through dormancy and now it's waking up and i thought i could be a Sarracenia rubra? Sorry about the sucky pic you probably can't even work with that hold on and i will take another pic later.

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa363/eou812/Picture701.jpg

I assume you are talking about the one in the foreground?
Not nearly enough to go on yet..sorry..
you will have to wait for some more pitchers to grow, to get any reasonable guess..

Scot

Yeah, wait until later in the season and you will probably be able to identify it yourself.

The most common sarracenia I see around here at the local nurseries are S. Judith Hindle, S. Dana's Delight and of course S. purpurea venosa.

Last edited by a moderator:
I give it 70% odds its a Judith Hindle..
but its still too early to tell..
give it a month or two then post some pics of new pitchers..

Scot

On a side note:

No matter what you end up thinking it is, remember that without it being properly labeled to begin with, it will now be improper to assume it is something in particular if you use it in future trades with people.

A lot of folks are very particular with exactly what a plant is specifically, so to be on the safe side, remember to openly let people know it is "assumed" to be a J.Hindle (or whatever) or possible hybrid of Judith Hindle, for otherwise no one can be sure if it is what you claim it is.

Not really a big deal, but like in the instance of a B-52 VFT, a seedling of a B-52 might not ever have the traits of huge traps as the clone has, and some poor shlub who trades a lot for it (or Hummer's Giant Ceph for another example) they may be not getting what they assume they are, which is poor ethics in handling a legitimate trade.

It really isn't a big deal in this case, but if you trade it with someone who is told it is something like a Judith Hindle, and they go about using it to breed other plants with, the cross/offspring will not be what they assume. Again, not that it is a big deal, but it is not an ethical way of trading.

I would rather know it might not be a Judith Hindle (or whatever) outright, than to have someone I am trading with tell me it is when it may not be. For it then puts me in a position of trading a plant with others down the line (whether the original plant or a cutting or a seed from it) that may not be what I myself represent it to be!

Personally if it looks good, that is what is most important. And unless the "clone/name" can be certain, I would rather know there is possible (even remote) doubt about it.

In the case of a H.G.Ceph or B-52, it may affect its trading value, but I wouldn't want the reputation of trading plants that turn out to be NOT what I have claimed them to be! Again, NOT the ethics I would want to even remotely risk being a part of.

Not that it will happen, but if you do "identify" the plant in the future by comparing it to pictures, please at least remember to tell me the actual, questionable "genetic history-mystery", if by remote chance you ever use it in a trade with me!

I have a number of plants that have lost their tags, of which I am near certain of what they are, but I cannot bring myself to trade them by "name", as to me they now become questionable, and so if I do use them in trade I make sure to let people know the situation. I think people appreciate the truth and knowledge, and I know some of the better growers need and demand it... and personally the growers who are really dedicated to this hobby... deserve it! Remember, without them, we wouldn't have plants like B-52's, H.G.Cephs and Judith Hindle's to begin with!

Good luck!

[I don't bring this up to you personally, but to everyone in this situation.]

And indeed, back on the subject, it is way too early to even remotely ID the plant. Part of the fun of growing seedlings and plants like this is watching them mature into their best display. (So many people are in such a hurry to divide their plants and produce more, they seldom if ever get to see their plants true beauty!) Indeed years of dedication and care ARE rewarded... for the patient!
:water:

I got it from Lowe's so i don't know what it is. Thanks though.

Our Lowe's have S. alabamensis occasionally. Unless somebody stopped production of them.

Back