What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown/Known Nep

Hello everyone, been awhile....

I had this "sibuyanensis x hamata" for 2 years or so now and its really starting to show some vigorous growth. Just thought I'd get some opinions as to what its parentage may be as it gradually matures..... at its rate I hope it put out some different uppers...

Sib x Hamata 2011

DSC02575.jpg

DSC02577.jpg

DSC02588.jpg

I think the consensus is most likely that it is N. sibuyanensis x talengensis.

Guess the only way to figure it out is to mate a batch of N. sibuyanensis x hamata and a N. sibuyanensis x talengensis and compare results. But due to variabilty who knows if you could come up with a definative answer even then. Probably could, I would imagine.

It's a beauty no matter what it is.

The peristome curves inward in a way I wouldn't expect from either parent; perhaps it contains hints of N. talangensis? It seems that some people speculate that the cross is actually N. sibuyanensis x 'Lady Pauline'...

I was about to bring up Nepenthes 'Lady Pauline', as well. I had just been to a CP nursery with a couple large N. 'Lady Pauline's, and I see some similarity. It is clearly not her, but certainly may have some Pauline genes in there somewhere. Whatever it is, it's pretty!

~Edit~ Here's a picture. Definitely not the same, but similar?

091.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I am going by memory and this huge battle on the trop nep forum from way back.
Both male parents mentioned here were brought up.
Rob maintained at the time that the pollination was done carefully, and that females and males are housed in different greenhouses. Regardless of that, Rob said Lady Pauline had not flowered to even be in the mix , IIRC.
You can definitely see the sib in this.
This example is the best I have seen, but I have not seen one in a while. I wish it was mine, lol.

Joe

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Interesteing observations. They definitely point me in the general right direction to its parents.

I wonder if Rob has any larger specimens to compare??

Back