What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This is not sphagnum right?

gill_za

Never Knows Best
When I first saw this moss I thought it was sphagnum but upon closer inspection I started doubting it. Can anyone give me an idea what is this moss growing with D. filiformis? And should I keep it in the pot or toss it away?

D.%252520filiformis%252520with%252520moss.jpg

correct. not sphag. could be java moss or sheet moss...gah, i dont know my mosses well enough.

Can't tell you for sure, but it looks like the stuff that grows on the walls and pavements around where I live. It's pretty, but it isn't sphagnum, and it might not be good for the plants. It won't hold water like sphag, either ???

I've had that moss running around my Sarracenia pots; it can form dense carpets, so I'd suggest removing it from your D. filiformis pots unless you really like it.

I've had that moss running around my Sarracenia pots; it can form dense carpets, so I'd suggest removing it from your D. filiformis pots unless you really like it.

Took it out :) Thanks everyone for replies!!!

Putting this moss in one of the pots (which I later used for capensis seedlings) was the biggest mistake ever.... I now have little shoots of this moss popping all over the pot in between the seedlings... and they grow faster than my plants.... Dammit. I keep plucking them out but everyday there is more and more of them... Is there a way to suppress them? Don't think I can use sand because of the size of the seedlings...

Putting this moss in one of the pots (which I later used for capensis seedlings) was the biggest mistake ever.... I now have little shoots of this moss popping all over the pot in between the seedlings... and they grow faster than my plants.... Dammit. I keep plucking them out but everyday there is more and more of them... Is there a way to suppress them? Don't think I can use sand because of the size of the seedlings...

Be patient and keep weeding. It can't come back forever if you clean it out daily before it can produce spores. This is the only safe way to get rid of weeds in CP pots IMHO

Be patient and keep weeding. It can't come back forever if you clean it out daily before it can produce spores. This is the only safe way to get rid of weeds in CP pots IMHO

How about lifting the top 1 cm of soil, flipping it and placing back so that all the moss is now covered with soil?

That is actually what I did today late night after I got tired playing a little sheep and plucking the strands individually. ...

Back