What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is in my Cephalotus pot?

Ok, so bear in mind this is my first cephalotus, and I had no idea what the winter leaves or flowers were suppose to look like. But about two or three months ago it started producing what I thought were elongated winter leaves. Then a couple weeks ago a flower stalk appeared.

Winter leaves and base of the flower stalk:

132di.jpg

The full plant:

129vd.jpg

Flower:

128kr.jpg

Anyone have any idea what I'm growing?

I have a feeling it's starting to crowd out my cephalotus and will have to remove the plant.

That's a prime example of Utricularia longifolia.

I agree with Clue. A very beautiful, flowering longifolia. Must have stowed away in the medium. You won't be able to get rid of the utricularia from the pot. It is best if you transplant the ceph to another pot - as the longifolia will soon overwhelm and overshadow the ceph. Make sure that the root system of the ceph is clean and contains little to no soil from the original pot of you may find yourself in the same situation.

I really appreciate the swift responses guys.

Any tips for transplanting the cephilotus? I've heard they can be pretty temperamental when their roots get disturbed.

That's a nice free Utricularia longifolia you've got there. Mine has been flowering like crazy for the last couple of months.

And if you feel like giving away (for postage or SASE) a few plugs of that Utric I'm sure we all will appreciate it :)

Back