What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help IDing a Sarr.

JB_OrchidGuy

Cardiac Nurse
I purchased a sarr from the nasc auction several years ago. It is a fabulous plant. I thought I got it from EST. The member I got the plant from was generous enoug to send another devision the following year because it didn't winter well and perished. It has beautiful veining. I want to say it was rubra gulfensis ancestral form and it had a location of someacr on Alabama.

I lost the tag from a plant I had in my bog. I noticed it when I was repotting. I think the questionable plant is this plant I described above. Could the member please post a picture of their plant? Mine was huge and I forgot to take pictures befor trimming the leaves upon transplant and devision. I got 15 or so plants from self decisions and me deviding. Was grossly overgrown after several years in the bog. All the plant are growing all over themselves.

Once new pitchers open I will post pictures. They are in more sun now sp hopefully will not be as leggy and look great for photo. Placed the bog in a bad spot cause of electrical issues. Will resolve that.

Thanks everyone.

---------- Post added at 11:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

Dang iPod auto correct! Grrrrr

This is what I have as a gulfensis:

009.jpg

101_0425.jpg

If it's the ancestral from and came from Jonathan then it should be labeled: Sarracenia rubra ssp gulfensis Ancestral Form, Crawford Co., GA

01730006.jpg
P7120091.jpg

P5300014.jpg

_IGP0622a.jpg
_IGP0623.jpg

_IGP0624.jpg
_IGP0625.jpg

_IGP0627.jpg

_IGP0628.jpg

Last edited:
Are you growing S. American Drosera outdoors with the Sarras?

Cheers,

Joe

LOL! Why does what I have look significantly different?

Prolly cause yours is not the ancestral form of it Jim. I am pretty sure that is the one. It had heavy veining with only few hours of sun. Can only imagine one it gets new pitchers growing and they have all day sun. The ones on it were pretty leggy and since it was getting devided too I trimmed them all back. I will put conditional tags on them till they grow out and can conpair. I could have sworn they came from Alabama though. Thanks a lit NAN

Does your plant grow like crazy. I do know it likes it's feet wet and took off in the bog. I must have 15 or so plants because of the way it was growing and needed to be divided fir the plants sake.

---------- Post added at 12:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 AM ----------

The first cutting I got died because it was kept to dry over the winter. Only plant to perish that year.

There's nothing that stands out about its growth... just a typical Sarracenia. I have noticed that all of my rubra varieties have responded at the same time... all before the leucophylla types.

My first circ bog was rather unique I think. Used the cement mixing tubs from lowes. Any who all my plants when I would have them sitting in a tub and just adding water, they seabed to stagnate. Water would get the funky smell. So would the peat. That anerobe smell. Once going into the curc bog that stagnation went away. I found all the Sarrs responded well. This plant though would have Benny busting the sides of an 8 inch pot had it been potted up. Took up a good 1/4 or more of the large cement mixing tub. I should have measured it. Of course they have been undisturbed for approx 3 or so years. I have other rubras that just grow like crazy too. I think it is a testament to circ bogs in general. The aeration and lack of stagnation, give Sarrs an environment to thrive in. In my experience the rubras love it. The first and second winter I had Sarrs and kept them on stagnant bogs, I would run them a lol on the dryer side to keep from rotting and freezing like a Sarrcicle over winter. The only plant not privy to that treatment was the rubra gulfensis. Since going into the circ bog I would leave the pump on 24/7 and several times I came hone to find the bog frozen over solid. As far as I can tell nothing died those years. The thing making plants suffer right now is being over crowded and not enough direct sun. Had to place on the side of the house for plug and wifey. So will be finding a new area for constant sun and moding fir electric and water lol.

Hey JB
I use those cement tubs too. I drill (with a doorknob bit) a 1 1/2 in hole about 2 inches from the bottom of the tub. Then stuff the holes with sphagnum moss. i put two 5'' pots equidistant from the sides some where in the middle .
i fill the 5" pots every other day with an over head watering,also.
uses less than 2 gals of water

Back