What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Little help IDing a Nepenthes?

TheFury

Oh, the humanity!!
Hello everyone, long time no see!

I just received this beautiful specimen today, however its parentage is unknown. The person I got this plant from thinks it may be a N. lowii x campanulata. Any other guesses? Either way, I love this thing!

5821603595_ebced3ac9d_b.jpg

5821603237_abe5b4bdf5_b.jpg

5822167656_c25769f0b4_b.jpg

I have no clue- but I love your cat!

Based purely on pictures I have seen of N. Lowii x Campanulata, I would have expected less elongated and pointy leaves. Also doesn't seem to show the wider mouth to body characteristic I'm use to seeing. The difference could just be due to growing conditions, and I'll default to others opinions on this.

I would have guessed N. Spectabilis though you may have a better idea of the parentage with more development of the pitchers perhaps..

Good luck with ID'n the plant.

Thanks for your input! Yeah, based on the pics I've seen on CPPF, it doesn't look all that much like a N. lowii x campanulata. Then again, I have a N. spectabilis x ventricosa that doesn't look a whole lot like the pics on CPPF either! I suppose it depends a whole lot, as you said, on the characteristics of the individual parents as well as growing conditions.

Could be N. spectabilis, but it seems that N. spectabilis has more speckling on the exterior of the pitchers. All the speckling action on this plant seems to be happening inside the pitchers.

Maybe the pointy pitcher lid is a clue? Not sure what it's indicative of...

Last edited:
I was going to ask you about the lid shape actually.. had a hard time making it out from the picture angles. I don't think I've seen the lowii x camp hybrid with pointy lids.

As for the coloration, it could just be that the plant hasn't been grown with enough light. I do see some hinting of coloring on the outside and with better lighting, it may speckle more on the exterior.

Looks like a mirabilis hybrid of some sort.

Hmm N. tobaica?

Hmm N. tobaica?

Hmm - but again, looking at the pictures of N. tobaica out there, it's got a rounded lid and a less pronounced "beard" (what's the correct biological term for that feature?)

I'm looking at N. rafflesiana x mirabilis... the pitcher shape doesn't quite line up but the coloration, the "beard," and the shape of the lid do.

Curiouser and curiouser...

Could it be a maxima X merilliana???

Back