What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dionaea cultivar or just neglect?

I bought this flytrap from a local nursery, the first one I've kept since the one I got (and promptly killed) as a kid. It was mixed in with a bunch of hybrid pitcher plants and being kept in the shadiest part of the nursery (north wall, no direct sun at all), so as you can guess, all the plants were pale and spindly. Since it was only a few bucks and just labeled as "Venus Flytrap", I assumed it was just the regular kind. Looking at photos of this species online today though, it looks like they're supposed to have longer teeth. Are the short teeth the result of being kept in shade and (in all likelihood) watered with tap water? Or is it one of the short-toothed cultivars? What's the difference between 'Dente' and 'Dentate'?

I've had the plant in full sun for 2-3 weeks now, and it's super happy out there. It has opened up a couple new traps and has several more developing fast, and has also developed a bit of a reddish hue.

I've bought what look like the same "cultivar" from Home depot. To me, they look exactly like the cultivar 'dentate traps'.

It looks to be a typical form with shorter teeth. Looks great . . .

Thanks for the replies! This plant didn't come from a big box store, but given that they had a bunch of Sarracenia 'Judith Hindle' there, it's possible they get their plants from the same source as the big chains.

Back