What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can anyone ID this nep for me?

V97NB.jpg

Exo and I were trying to identify this nep and we're both fairly confident that this is NOT a ventrata. My ventrata has a few pitchers of similar size and they are quite different from this one. For one, none of the pitchers on my ventrata have spots. They're also much narrower in the middle and they have that distinct coloration of being redder on top and greener at the bottom. Any thoughts on what this might be? In case you're curious, I've had this plant for a few years and I can't remember if it was labeled when I got it.

That looks like a basal, there aren't any larger pitchers on the plant?

Because I'm not going to lie, I want to say ventrata. However it could be anything really. A larger more mature pitcher would help me get a better idea.

Most of the pitchers on this one are on the basal, which I know doesn't help. The plant seems to have finally settled in from the move from Wisconsin and started producing pitchers again. There's one pitcher on the older part of the plant, but it has only started to inflate, so there isn't much to see there. I wish I could be more helpful.

Edit: The spots on this pitcher really make me think it's not a ventrata.

wat if it has more genes from the parent ventricosa and inherited the spottyness???

I don't know. I mean maybe, but the peristome doesn't look right to me either for ventrata. Maybe I'll just have to be patient and wait until it makes bigger pitchers.

A few more pictures...

Whole plant...
KwJnq.jpg

One basal pitcher...
Ju2rd.jpg

A different basal pitcher...
It2zS.jpg

An unopened pitcher on the older part of the plant...
UIYVo.jpg

i would still argue ventrata...either that or ventrata x ventricosa.
hybrids arent uniform in appearance... there is much variance, which resembles mostly like a bell curve, where opposite sides represent the parental characteristics...the majority will look like a fusion of the two, but there are others that will lean more to one parent than the other. :)

Given the current appearance, I do not believe it is ventrata, or at least any of the commonly grown clones of it. The pitcher shape is similar, but the color and texture of the pitcher are way off, and the leaves lean more towards ventricosa. My guess is that it is a ventricosa hybrid, but not ventrata.

Ventrata doesn't have the wings. I'm not sure the parentage of splendiana but could it be that? Fairly common I think. Has the wings and the coloring.

I'm always reluctant in IDing a NoID at, least with orchid anyway, there are too many hybrids that look similar.

I'll definitely say it's not splendiana, Josh. The leaves look very ventricosa like... And ventrata at a small size has wings... But the pitcher mottling is not something I've seen in a ventrata. Would help to have background info on this plant... Like where you got it from(unless it's another CP vendor)

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

Upon further analyzation of the pics, I am leaning in the direction of a ventricosa red that is adjusting to a new area

Back